cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Adding a student discount to an existing Samsung account

So I encountered an issue over the weekend with my personal account and a student account.  Have had my personal acocunt for some time and did not know there was a student discount. Also, my personal account has financing attached.  When siging up for the student discount, you have to create a new account which also means you have to apply for new credit.  Being a credit score watcher I did not want to go this route as I did not want this affecting my score.  There were multiple attempts with Samsung support to merge the accounts or to change the credit account to the student account.  All of these attempts led to a lot frustration and many failed pathes that did not help.  There was a link account URL sent, but since my EDU email was not associated with my Samsung credit, it could not be found.  Waited two days to hear from another team, only to be told the same URL.  Previously, there were response that stated accounts cannot be merged and the credit could not be tranfserred.

I had to find a solution on my own.  Actually, it was an idea I presented to the first Samsung support rep, but they said to try these other things.  After getting tired of going round and round with support I tried my idea today and it worked.  Cant believe that I am the only one in this boat so I thought I would share this with the Community.

My solution is quite simple and took me less than a minute.  First, log into the student account, click on your name in the upper right and choose "My Account".  Then approximately mid page on the right choose "My Account Info".  You can scroll to the bottom of the page and choose "Close Account".  Yes you are closing and deleting this account, but dont worry this works.  Once this account has been closed, now log into your personal account.  Once logged in, go to My Account and choose the "Change Email" option and use your .EDU email address.  This should end in a successfully updated notification.  I performed this less than 30 seconds after closing my EDU account.

Now you can return to the EDU registration page and enter your EDU email address again.  When you receive the code, enter it on the page.  At this point when you log back in with your EDU email and your personal account password, you will now be at the Student Discount pages.

Wish the Samsung reps would know this method and suggest it or at least not have discouraged me from trying it.  This was very easy and would've saved me a lot of time.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Adding a student discount to an existing Samsung account

Worked for me for my business account, Thanks!!!

Just did it, and so far so good, will let you know if I have any issues anywhere.  The only thing that stinks is I don't like to use my business email as my account.

Highlighted
Constellation

I was trying so many ways to get the student discount to apply to my account and luckily I came across your post. I am so grateful you shared! Even Samsung reps didn't know how to help me merge the accounts. Thanks!

Highlighted
Constellation

@Weezykid hey so your solution helped but the thing is I had accidentally clicked a link in my email that had to do with Perks at Work and thankfully those people closed/deleted my perks at work account that was good..but when I login to Samsung, it still says Perks At Work on the Samsung app and in checkout..whereas before it said only Student Discount. It shows that I am registered to the edu. email but that edu email is connected with my only personal account so I was ok getting all the discounts at checkout without logging in with the sch email. I contacted PerksAtWork but they said it's the Samsing side problem that they can fox it but TBH I've been awake past 16hrs and no1 had been able to fix it...do u think you can help out or know a way

@Weezykid wrote:

So I encountered an issue over the weekend with my personal account and a student account.  Have had my personal acocunt for some time and did not know there was a student discount. Also, my personal account has financing attached.  When siging up for the student discount, you have to create a new account which also means you have to apply for new credit.  Being a credit score watcher I did not want to go this route as I did not want this affecting my score.  There were multiple attempts with Samsung support to merge the accounts or to change the credit account to the student account.  All of these attempts led to a lot frustration and many failed pathes that did not help.  There was a link account URL sent, but since my EDU email was not associated with my Samsung credit, it could not be found.  Waited two days to hear from another team, only to be told the same URL.  Previously, there were response that stated accounts cannot be merged and the credit could not be tranfserred.

I had to find a solution on my own.  Actually, it was an idea I presented to the first Samsung support rep, but they said to try these other things.  After getting tired of going round and round with support I tried my idea today and it worked.  Cant believe that I am the only one in this boat so I thought I would share this with the Community.

My solution is quite simple and took me less than a minute.  First, log into the student account, click on your name in the upper right and choose "My Account".  Then approximately mid page on the right choose "My Account Info".  You can scroll to the bottom of the page and choose "Close Account".  Yes you are closing and deleting this account, but dont worry this works.  Once this account has been closed, now log into your personal account.  Once logged in, go to My Account and choose the "Change Email" option and use your .EDU email address.  This should end in a successfully updated notification.  I performed this less than 30 seconds after closing my EDU account.

Now you can return to the EDU registration page and enter your EDU email address again.  When you receive the code, enter it on the page.  At this point when you log back in with your EDU email and your personal account password, you will now be at the Student Discount pages.

Wish the Samsung reps would know this method and suggest it or at least not have discouraged me from trying it.  This was very easy and would've saved me a lot of time.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Please contact the Samsung accounts team directly for the most accurate assistance. Their number is 855-795-0509.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

Were you able to see you previous order history when doing this? Mine seemed to completely disappear.. My Samsung Upgrade program devices were also not associated with the account any longer. I changed back to the original email and everything came back.. Any ideas?