JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Blue dot text message by contact

(Topic created: 12-23-2019 08:02 PM)
userXtsgcad5Ta
Constellation
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

Does anybody know what the blue dot Is on the icon next to the person's name in the text message app? Only shows there. Only on select contacts.

JUMP TO SOLUTION
107 Replies
smurflette06
Astronaut
Options
I don't think that is correct because the only contact I have with that blue dot is an iPhone user, and I have the note 20 ultra
userJwnZQ8N9vz
Constellation
Options

Yes it signifies that that person on your contact list also has chat features enabled. In the UK it works across all networks. I'm on Vodafone Ans my son is on another one. But we can still use chat features. His number has the small blue dot.

bpark32
Halo
Options

I have read thread after thread and tried multiple things with family member's phones. As far as I can tell it's telling you you're on the same network as that person.  I am on AT&T. I see my wife and son with Galaxy phones and on same network with blue dots. My mom and sister are on Verizon Galaxy devices and don't show up with the contact dots.  

user7A8PxahgnW
Astronaut
Options

CLF said it best. Just an advanced message setting. I can see it on my sisters LG while I have Samsung but I can't see it on my other sister's phone which is a Samsung. I'm on post paid and they both are on prepaid at AT&T. @userF4DHMtf5lg unlocked phones can be very annoying for that very reason. I know my friend got an unlocked s10+ and she couldn't use wifi calling. I buy my phones from my carrier, pay off the phone and then unlock them through an unlock portal. That way I still have wifi calling and everything that came from the carrier 🙂 all of our phones are unlocked because originally they're all from my account and I unlocked them online. Just depends on who your carrier is and their stipulations.

0 Likes
Samsung_TDtbuaT
Astronaut
Options

I as well have red thread after thread. I am no AT&T customer I know fries and customer I have no Sprint Customer. Guess what customer I am. The blue. Is next to friends who have iPhones and I have an Android. The blue dots next to friends who cannot video chat with me. So what does the blue dot mean

0 Likes
TeeJar365
Astronaut
Options

So on only some of my contacts has a colored dot on them. Sometimes it's a different color in some screens. What the heck is the dot for and why. What does it represent. I've heard multiple things, clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Samsung_8O6D4zE
Constellation
Options

The blue dots that appear next to some of our contacts profile picture thumbnail bubbles in the messaging app are put there "ONLY" for the user's who have been wondering what the little blue dots that appear next to some of our contacts profile picture thumbnail bubbles in the messaging app was so that they would have a legit reason to ask the community what the blue dots that appear next to some of our contact profile picture thumbnail bubbles are.

NOW......

with that said....

I have no idea what the little blue dots that appear next to some of our contact profile picture thumbnail bubbles really are to be quite honest.  I was only poking fun above with my answer due to the fact that even though all of the answers that I read were all different from one another they did have 1 thing in common with each other....... that's that they obviously were all wrong! That's when I decided to add one more wrong answer but one with a little bit of humor behind it.  

P.s. ftr I tried to catch them all but the run-on sentences were just too fast for me so I guess ya'll just haft to get overs it. GO VOLS!!! 😉

userEvTZA17qh1
Astronaut
Options

I believe it's for text messages that aren't yet read by the person you sent them to.  both my father and a friend  sent me messages late. I woke up and messaged them back and the blue dots where there until they woke up and responded later that morning. Been trying to figure that blue dot in contact icon in messaging app for a while

SafeCareGlass
Astronaut
Options

I may be wrong, and I don't know if anyone has answered this post already, but I've noticed a trend with contacts to have the blue dot. I believe that it is to mark those that have real-time text messaging. Which is a feature that you can see when the person you are texting has received your message, and is replying or typing in real time.

✓ 24-Hour Mobile Auto Glass Replacement & Repair Service
✓ All Florida Cities and Counties Serviced

Phone:
(321) 418-1936

Business Website:
https://safecaresolutionsautoglass-autoglassshop.business.site/
Samsung_GL2DPyd
Astronaut
Options

When I look at my text messages my husband name appears and beside it is the initial of his first name. Then to the left of his initial is a blue dot. Yesterday I got a text from a wrong number and the same blue dot showed up beside that number. Which this number wasn't in my contacts, it was only a number.

I've read that if you have a android phone that other people that have android phones will show up with a blue dot beside there name. My husband does have a android and so do I. In his text my number and initial doesn't have any blue dots next to any name or number.