JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Bug report: Samsung Messages app: Poor US experience with group discussions

(Topic created: 02-24-2022 11:35 AM)
user76fpVmdQBp
Asteroid
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

In all of my Samsung Galaxy S phones I've owned in the past several years, every time I am accessing a group conversation in the Samsung Messages app, a notification is always popping up uninvited at the bottom of the screen for several seconds. The notification reads as follows: "Group conversation will be sent as multimedia messages." I am reporting this behavior as a bug because:

1. It detrimentally interferes with using the app: Every time I select a group discussion from the messages main screen, the notification immediately pops up at the bottom of the screen where new messages arrive and stays visible on top for at least 3-4 seconds. As such, it significantly deteriorates User Experience because it impedes users from reading new messages (or whatever the bottom message is) each and every time a group discussion is accessed.

2. This is an app-specific notification for which, to the best of my exhaustive search, there is no option whatsoever in any app settings to prevent it from appearing and interfering when using the app.

3. Competing message apps (like Google Messages) do not produce any such notification in group discussions.

Other users in this community have also pointed out the issue repeatedly. Interestingly, in the community thread https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S20/How-do-I-get-rid-of-the-warning-group-conversation-wi... a Samsung Moderator tried to attribute the bug I am reporting as a carrier issue rather than an app bug. On the basis of my remark 3 above, the moderator's assessment is simply wrong.

I hope the above details help your engineering teams fix the stated problematic behavior.

Best regards,
Alexander

Note: The topic title is actually meant to be: "Poor user experience", instead of what now reads as: "Poor US experience". The typo is probably my bad, either during typing, or by possibly not catching my over-eager auto-corrector. To make things clear, I am stating again this issue has to do with Samsung Messages poor user experience as detailed, and adding the remark the issue has nothing to do with "US experience" (whatever this might be interpreted as).

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
DanG92263
Black Hole
Options
Samsung Messages and Google Messages are vastly different messaging services. Google Messages sends text and images via an internet connection, usually via Wi-Fi. Samsung Messages are SMS and MMS text and images that are sent via your plan with your carrier, though it may at some point move along the internet. As such, you will be charged by your carrier per your agreement with them. Unlimited text and images? No problem. But if you're on a plan that has a cap, say 500 texts and images per month free and 25 cents per text or images thereafter, you can better understand the reason for the post as you are charged for each message received and sent in the group.

With unlimited text and data becoming the norm, we may yet see this notification disappear.

View solution in context

8 Replies
Cuchulainn
Comet
Options
Out of curiosity, which carrier do you have? I get that notification constantly with T-Mobile. It's super annoying and we get the message after the first appearance or two 🙂
0 Likes
MysticMandy
Astronaut
Options
There was huge data breaches with T Mobil Google and Samsung...I'd look into seeing if any of your info has been compromised.
0 Likes
user76fpVmdQBp
Asteroid
Options

I have been with T-Mobile, too, throughout the period I am referring to. Switching to Google Messages, though, does not produce the notification in their group conversations. Consequently, even if the carrier should have anything to do with this, then it remains the Samsung Messages app issue to figure out and correct its own behavior.

0 Likes
Solution
DanG92263
Black Hole
Options
Samsung Messages and Google Messages are vastly different messaging services. Google Messages sends text and images via an internet connection, usually via Wi-Fi. Samsung Messages are SMS and MMS text and images that are sent via your plan with your carrier, though it may at some point move along the internet. As such, you will be charged by your carrier per your agreement with them. Unlimited text and images? No problem. But if you're on a plan that has a cap, say 500 texts and images per month free and 25 cents per text or images thereafter, you can better understand the reason for the post as you are charged for each message received and sent in the group.

With unlimited text and data becoming the norm, we may yet see this notification disappear.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Agreed, I use Google Messages over 5G cellular data not wifi and have no issues.
0 Likes
user76fpVmdQBp
Asteroid
Options

This is interesting information, thank you. I was unaware about the operating mode of the apps by the two different companies.

The specific topic I brought up, nonetheless, still remains as a user experience bug/issue that should be addressed by the app developers.

Nortonw
Astronaut
Options
Is anyone having problems with the new CW app update my Samsung a52 will not switch to landscape mode with this app I've contacted them they're aware of the problem my landscape mode is on automatic rotate I'm just not going to watch a show with an inch two and a half inch screen and usually I cast it anyway but it's even weirder watching it on TV with the whole phone showing and a small screen
0 Likes
scooter7
Astronaut
Options
Ty user I didn't know you could report glad you did
0 Likes