I have many duplicate contacts in my Contacts app.
I use 9 email app and my Outlook.com email address is where I store my contacts and schedules.
I don't see dupes in 9 or Outlook mail contacts.
On my laptop browser, I don't see dupes in my gmail contacts.
I open Manage-Contacts and try to find dupes, but it can't find any despite there being many, sometimes 3 or 4 of the same.
It IS broken. I want to sync to my Outlook and gmail contacts. It let me choose that option, so it should work, or prevent me from doing so. Just retired my Lumia 950XL so having to maintain gmail contacts in sync with Outlook is new for me.
Then, it let me del all my contacts on my phone with auto sync turned, without warning me that it would del all my contacts on all my devices.
Glad I had a backup. That's a major data loss bug.
1. In contacts apps on phone.. shows duplicates.. triplicates..etc.. because you are syncing your contacts with multiple apps...
2. If you go to Gmail on the computer .. you do not see dupes.. because Gmail is not syncing with outlook ..it is syncing with your phone.. same for outlook.. read above and switch name apps..
3. If you delete names on your phone.. yes it will eventually would of deleted your contacts in both of your email apps.
4. The only thing I see different in the phones contact app.. is (not sure if it was on my old Motorola..or if Samsung had it too) but.. in the contact app.. i remember where you could chose which app you wanted to see contacts from.. and it would only show those contacts until you switched
5. If you have GMAIL and OUTLOOK. Choose one location.. I choose gmail.. to store your contacts.. and download the outlook email app.. if you need to email someone from your Gmail account.. open outlook.. at the top change to your Gmail email.. and email away.. and same from your outlook..
Why and I am not judging sorry.. why you would want 20 locations for email addresses is beyond me.... EXCEPT for business purposes.. from your company and their security measures.. in GMAIL.. you can set groups as well..
If you want to sync with different email accounts.. yes you will have duplicates..I have seen that ever since I started using smart phones back 10 years ago..
Also, the app keeps prompting to turn on sync. If you turn it on, it defaults to turning on sync for ALL accounts..
Then it lets you delete all contacts on all devices and all accounts without warning.
This wasn't tested.
When a user can delete all their contacts on all their devices without a warning, that's a major data loss bug.
My Outlook account is my choice across all my devices, for contacts, scheduling, and email. I use IMAP to keep my email synced. Contacts usually stayed synced, too (but Outlook had or does have bugs in its contacts also).
I really don't want to use gmail contacts, but I haven't found a way to just use Outlook contacts on an Android phone. Too many apps use the gmail contact list.
It's all the other apps that seem to be hardcoded to use google contacts on the phone that is the problem.
Using Nine or Outlook app for multiple accounts is no problem for email - been doing that for years. And I only send email from my Outlook account, so the other email accounts are mostly used to receive mail.
Also, I much prefer using the Microsoft ecosystem. And I have it installed on way too many systems to convert.
The Android ecosystem is a mess. Too many options don't work together.
But as far as contacts.. they are all kept in my Gmail account.. easier to use and save that way