JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Can't use older notes after Samsung Notes update.

(Topic created: 08-22-2020 06:29 AM)
Mel311
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I have a Galaxy Note 9....
When I try to open a Samsung Notes file created before today's update,  I get a message that says I have to install the Samsung Notes-Add On to open them. When I click install it wants to use something called package installer. But when I click on this it says that the source is unknown. I am not allowing anything unknown to install on my phone. What is going on? How do I access my old notes. 

FYI...restarting the app, force stopping, and cache clearing have failed to resolve the problem.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
ShaeBaeBae
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I FIGURED IT OUT!

1) Open the Notes App

2) tap the 3 horizontal lines on the left hand side (the menu)

3) tap the 'settings' icon on the upper right side of the menu (the gear symbol)

4) there should be an option there for you on the list that says 'convert old notes'. Tap it.

5) a prompt will pop up explaining that your old notes will be converted to be compatible with the new update. Tap 'Accept' or 'Continue'.

6) enjoy your old notes in a whole new way. All of my notes are the same, nothing has changed and I am so relieved. I hope this helps!

View solution in context

75 Replies
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I got the same prompt on my Note 20 Ultra. The Samsung Notes Addons is from Samsung and safe to use. 

You can find the reference to Samsung being the origin in Apps -> Samsung Notes Addons -> Gear icon -> About Samsung Notes -> Open source licenses. 

Package Installer is the Android service responsible for installing new apps, updating the apps and uninstalling the apps.

useryjQefdaRx2
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

So why am I get a warning that my phone and data are at risk. Please advise. I just installed this ad on and I'm seriously worried that my phone may be compromised.  Thanks

useriV4R6niDAZ
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

It's a new update which makes it more user friendly for the to be released tab series. I do not think your phone is at any risk, I really like the update too 😇.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Well that is not what the message on the phone implies. It says specifically 'may put your phone and data at risk'. Why would it say that then? How do you know ones phone is not at risk?

Just_MJ
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I have the same problem. I can't open my locked Notes after this update.
Tenzasking
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Me either! I'm just relieved that you and others are posting on here to get some help thank you!!
uservHbh5gof8K
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Im in the same boat, but I think its very optimistic of you to think that Samsung will 'help' any users in this situation.

Samsung should have:

1) signed the the software update properly so that users like the OP @Mel311 and me dont have to wonder if the software is legit or not

2) allowed users to opt-out of the update and have access to all their previously created notes, especially if the update goes wrong

userXfINfBFiqn
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Yes. Who publishes an update that renders previous Notes unusable? There is no "SAVE" button. I made changes to an old Note, saved as a Samsung Notes file, and the changes weren't there. Then it shows "Sign in to edit and save changes to ..." I never had to sign in to anything before. All I had to do was hit the SAVE button.

My phone and desktop Chromes are set to NOT sync with Google. Still, searches on my desktop show up on my phone. Very frustrating. 

At one point, I had a list of six different versions of the same Note. One for each edit. But the edits don't show up in my document folder.

Why do we let these manufacturers mess with us like this?

I've been working on computers since 1965, but on hardware. And I'm annoyed. How about folks that have no technical background?

userSQsh5nXxF3
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Agreed.  I did not need nor want an update.  The original version worked just fine for my needs.