JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Can't use older notes after Samsung Notes update.

(Topic created: 08-27-2020 08:32 PM)
Mel311
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I have a Galaxy Note 9....
When I try to open a Samsung Notes file created before today's update,  I get a message that says I have to install the Samsung Notes-Add On to open them. When I click install it wants to use something called package installer. But when I click on this it says that the source is unknown. I am not allowing anything unknown to install on my phone. What is going on? How do I access my old notes. 

FYI...restarting the app, force stopping, and cache clearing have failed to resolve the problem.
75 Replies
Pkita
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
FYI.....opened a chat with Samsung support and he checked the update and link to verification. It is an official update and the link is real. So I changed in settings to Samsung note settings link only, to allow changes. Then went back to app and updated.
userH8u673gfyW
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

No need to download anything new i opened settings in notes app and hit convert old notes and it worked.  Thanks for the tips. 

userq7PoZuB4J4
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I am having the same problem, but cannot access the update at all. I try to open my notes and am prompted to install the update. I select to install, I get the blue Samsung spinning circle that goes on for a minute or two and then it stops. No installation. No notification of what's  not working. This simply makes no sense. When the phone updates, all updates should be included. I need to access my notes Samsung! Please figure this out!!

Interesting,  as I'm  making this post,  the option to install pops. But does say it is an unknown source. Why all the "extra" Samsung? Isn't 2020 extra enough?

0 Likes
userspkWfgIF08
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

After reading some of these replies, I managed to load the add-on.  Just as well, or I could have lost a lot of useful data.

The very threat of losing information because a Samsung phone won't download a Samsung add-on because Samsung isn't trusted by Samsung is scary.

So I have transferred my information to MS OneNote instead.

Solution
ShaeBaeBae
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I FIGURED IT OUT!

1) Open the Notes App

2) tap the 3 horizontal lines on the left hand side (the menu)

3) tap the 'settings' icon on the upper right side of the menu (the gear symbol)

4) there should be an option there for you on the list that says 'convert old notes'. Tap it.

5) a prompt will pop up explaining that your old notes will be converted to be compatible with the new update. Tap 'Accept' or 'Continue'.

6) enjoy your old notes in a whole new way. All of my notes are the same, nothing has changed and I am so relieved. I hope this helps!

user6ApNoD0ha6
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

This worked for me on my Galaxy S8, the notes now open right up....🤓

0 Likes
usersK6tkIJmyX
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I followed ur instructions and it worked! Thank u so much👍

@ShaeBaeBae wrote:

I FIGURED IT OUT!

1) Open the Notes App

2) tap the 3 horizontal lines on the left hand side (the menu)

3) tap the 'settings' icon on the upper right side of the menu (the gear symbol)

4) there should be an option there for you on the list that says 'convert old notes'. Tap it.

5) a prompt will pop up explaining that your old notes will be converted to be compatible with the new update. Tap 'Accept' or 'Continue'.

6) enjoy your old notes in a whole new way. All of my notes are the same, nothing has changed and I am so relieved. I hope this helps!

0 Likes
usersK6tkIJmyX
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Thank u so much for ur instructions. It really helped!👍

0 Likes
userKG1oDwRFdq
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Thank you thank you thank you!

0 Likes
Dragonbabe1966
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Thank you. This worked perfectly. Whew,  you saved me from a lot of stress. 

0 Likes