JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Can't use older notes after Samsung Notes update.

(Topic created: 08-31-2020 09:33 PM)
Mel311
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I have a Galaxy Note 9....
When I try to open a Samsung Notes file created before today's update,  I get a message that says I have to install the Samsung Notes-Add On to open them. When I click install it wants to use something called package installer. But when I click on this it says that the source is unknown. I am not allowing anything unknown to install on my phone. What is going on? How do I access my old notes. 

FYI...restarting the app, force stopping, and cache clearing have failed to resolve the problem.
75 Replies
userEeWITYRKK1
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Thank you very much! That was great! I was afraid my phone had a virus!

Was really bummed at the prospect of losing access to my old notes! I have a Note 9 phone. That's why I chose it, for taking notes! Lol

0 Likes
userRdrXcix72I
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

It worked perfectly.  Thanks for the help!

0 Likes
user5D0nBT8cGI
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

thanks. This was helpful 

0 Likes
userAh3FkY9sgL
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Thanks a ton because I was wondering what this new error was every time I tried to open my notes. You mad the fix super simple

Thanks Again!

0 Likes
Myrkr
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

if nothing has changed, then what's the point? I can't  find anything, including on Samsung sites, that actually specifies what the changes are. 

Anyone know?

0 Likes
userqNzMTnTJ18
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

That's great but I lock my Notes with a password. When I go to convert old to new it won't convert locked Notes.

How do I unlock my Notes to convert?

Please help!

0 Likes
userySh15pidD5
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I recently updated my Samsung Notes App to version 4.0.06.5

I have converted all my notes.

What I dislike is that following an edit it automatically saves the file, if I make a mess of the edit I can't exit without it saving. This is a poor situation, one needs a save button surely?

0 Likes
userySh15pidD5
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Oops, sorry. Posted this in the wrong place.

0 Likes
userM69NA8c1ay
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Nope this hasnt worked for me either. Those options are not showing up at all

0 Likes
userSQsh5nXxF3
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Technically I just checked and the notes are NOT fully the same.  I have old notes that had dates on them per the old ap.  It says "created date" and then a "last modified" date.  They were at the bottom of all the old notes.  The old version automatically did that and then let ME choose to resave or back out (leaving those dates)

Now the converted notes don't have that!  At the top it will have a date which was a last modified - but if you do ANYTHING in the new version, there is no way to "back out of it" - instead that old date will be replaced with today's time.   

This is REALLY aggravating as I was utilizing those dates to keep track of certain progress and timeliness for things.  

Now I can't go back to the old format (yes some folks posted a way that sounds like a lot of effort and potential to lose everything) - I'm stuck being forced to go forward with converting my notes otherwise I can't do anything in that old format or the old notes that I still can see. 

The only thing I can think of is to type the created and modified dates an each and every note as i convert them one by one and then will have to remember to put dates IN my notes as I go... 😞

I liked the old way much better and don't understand why the switch anyway. Can't things be left alone sometimes?

0 Likes