JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Can't use older notes after Samsung Notes update.

(Topic created: 09-13-2020 06:29 PM)
Mel311
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I have a Galaxy Note 9....
When I try to open a Samsung Notes file created before today's update,  I get a message that says I have to install the Samsung Notes-Add On to open them. When I click install it wants to use something called package installer. But when I click on this it says that the source is unknown. I am not allowing anything unknown to install on my phone. What is going on? How do I access my old notes. 

FYI...restarting the app, force stopping, and cache clearing have failed to resolve the problem.
75 Replies
user6iCL9yCC86
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Same here.  I'm so frustrated with this.  Can't access my old notes and don't want to convert them.  I hate the updated app.  

Just want to access my original notes and be able to copy them to an app of my choosing.    

This has made me reassess my purchase of this phone, I was perfectly happy with it but  I'll now be rooting it sooner rather than later.  And after 5 years with samsung, next time I buy a phone, it won't be Samsung.   

0 Likes
userfYM0G7tTnH
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Same here

0 Likes
BoyMomOf4
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Go to ur notes settings and click convert ur old notes
0 Likes
Celestialstories
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
This update doesn't make sense to me. If I install, then it should be complete when finished installing. I feel Samsung is holding my notes hostage until I agree to the add on, which, as noted by many here, is "from an unknown source." This update is poorly executed, Samsung. LongHiker, I hope you are right that it's safe.
Tenzasking
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I fixed it. You have to click on the "package..." icon when it pops up and then click the setting gear that pops up. Then turn on the button allowing access to install. This is so dumb!!! Samsung is losing my interest real fast. There's so many cool things now on apple phones. Never thought I'd say that. Come on Samsung! Get it together!!!!
0 Likes
usernLMuXF3noB
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

That allows you to install from an untrustworthy source. That is the issue.

0 Likes
userpSYoMDuii3
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Just open settings and select "Convert old notes" (something like that). After conversion, all notes become accessable again.

userWplVQ1aXtu
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I found you.  I made a new post reposting your suggestion.  I was wanting to give you props. Thank you so much.  My husband was having a fit so I had to save the day.  I found your post.  Told him what you suggested and it worked.  Thanks!!

0 Likes
usernLMuXF3noB
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Except you installed an add-on from an trustworthy source.

NEVERMIND!!!! Yeah, it is buried in a different menu!!!!

0 Likes
user1nP1ttB9hI
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
thank you...it worked
0 Likes