JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Can't use older notes after Samsung Notes update.

(Topic created: 08-22-2020 06:29 AM)
Mel311
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I have a Galaxy Note 9....
When I try to open a Samsung Notes file created before today's update,  I get a message that says I have to install the Samsung Notes-Add On to open them. When I click install it wants to use something called package installer. But when I click on this it says that the source is unknown. I am not allowing anything unknown to install on my phone. What is going on? How do I access my old notes. 

FYI...restarting the app, force stopping, and cache clearing have failed to resolve the problem.
JUMP TO SOLUTION
75 Replies
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Try updating the Samsung Notes app. An update was released this morning. Once you've done that:

- Select the hamburger icon in the top left
- Select Old Format Notes
- You should see a prompt to Convert All.

After that, you should be good to go. This is because of the new features being brought down from the Note 20 series.

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button by pressing the three dots on the comment.
userhMnVnRExUu
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
it worked 😃
0 Likes
userK10vhz6WM2
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I tried to do just that. I didn't have to go to the update button. My notes were already updated when I opened it that morning. The problem is that it wanted me to download add on which is anti-Malwarebytes, and it still didn't let me in. Then when I tried to get my notes, it was still asking me to add the add on. I already did that though! It wouldn't let me get my notes. Then I went to where you can convert them into the old notes, and some of the notes I had written only the night before were missing. Now they are gone. Where are they? Spent over 2 hours on the phone with Samsung, and someone from their team remote viewed my phone, and ended up deleting the app by mistake. Now I have anti-malware that doesn't even work as well. Think it is time to go to Apple. 

0 Likes
user6Qq2Z5Bv9R
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

I had the same issue and Samsung support says if I didn't have them backed up they are gone. I back everything up to Google drive but apparently the notes app is not compatible so the notes were not backed up. They are just gone now. Im very irritated.  I had important notes in there.

0 Likes
userMc6qvxaw02
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Thanks! It worked!!

0 Likes
Cherna90
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
The convert method only works for non-locked or password protected notes. Any luck on opening those?
0 Likes
redrose326
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Exactly! I have the same issue. 😞 Can't convert nor open my locked/secured/password protected notes after the update. Hope someone gives us the solution esp. if locked notes have no backup.

0 Likes
userK10vhz6WM2
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

some of the notes that I lost were not password protected. I have no idea where they are. Even half of a one note is missing. 

0 Likes
userwldZpFk7sU
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

Yes you can, go to your settings, then go to where you manage your apps. Click on the samsung notes settings and there is a link to convert your old notes to the update. No need to install the add on.

0 Likes
Tenzasking
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Thank you, thank you! I could have duplicated your exact comments because that's exactly how I'm feeling!!
0 Likes