JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Cannot get Bixby to learn contact name.

(Topic created on: 7/28/17 4:47 PM)
Galning
Asteroid
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

I have a contact named Anne. Bixby always understands this as "and." Cannot voice text or call because of this. I have attempted to teach without success. Ideas?

19 Replies
Solution
SamsungCamp
Comet
Options

@Galning We might have a temporary solution for this. First open Bixby in full screen, then type the command "find Anne in my contacts".  You can then make that a quick command, which should allow you to perform the command by just saying Anne. You can create quick commands for things like Call Anne, or Send Text to Anne as well. 

View solution in context

0 Likes
Galning
Asteroid
Options

Yes that helped. Thanks!

0 Likes
userFiv9M8mInq
Constellation
Options

It will also help to go into the contacts name and change the phonetic spelling of the name to what Bixby thinks it is.. I had to do this for my friend Brigette. Anytime I'd try it would be bridget or Bridgette or any variation. Bixby was sounding it brigawte. At any rate this was a little more simple than a quick command although a fix wouldn' hurt ;) 

0 Likes
useroZWyUyoOkP
Astronaut
Options
not working! i teach Brandy and correct I instead of y. than when I lauch bixby it still says Brandy. vicious circle I finally just created message wife
0 Likes
Options

I appreciate you taking the time to try that, @useroZWyUyoOkP, have you attempted to assign a nickname to this contact?

You can do this by doing the following:

Open Contacts

Find the Contact you want to assign a nickname to them and tap their profile picture

Tap Edit

Scroll down to View More

Find Nickname

Assign a Nickname

At this point you should be able to talk to Bixby and have it recognize your contact by mentioning the nickname you've assigned. Let me know if this helps!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

useroAatjfaiUn
Constellation
Options

I was having trouble getting Bixby yo recognize my wife's name Cathleen. I first changed the spelling to Cat and that didn't work. It kept searching for Kathleen or Kat. I just changed the phonetic spelling to what Bixby thought it was and that totally solved my problem!

Spyderryder
Constellation
Options

Having been in electronics all of my life, i have learned in english there are a lot of words that are 1. Spelled alike, but sound entirely different, 2 are pronounced the same but are spelled entirely different, 3 things like names that it doesnt matter how they are spelled or pronounced. Computer software hasnt reached the point where they can pick up on suttle diffences in pronounceation... they rate the likely hood of what they think they heard as being correct, and which words ranks higest is what it goes with.... lol oh try pronouncing bridgett,  or how ever its spelled as the french would since i believe the name has french origins... 

0 Likes
Red-Beard
Constellation
Options
Bixby cannot understand "O'Brien". It writes it as "o brian" and cannot find the contact. This is a very common name in the US.
0 Likes
userMYf1ozEAVS
Astronaut
Options
My girlfriends name is Maija (pronounced Maya) but Bixby will not understand me no matter how many times I correct it.
0 Likes