JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Chat features in samsung message app

(Topic created: 02-25-2023 08:10 PM)
faithfulServant
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
I purchased an unlocked S23 Ultra. I am currently on Verizon. I don't have the chat feature in the samsung messaging app. It shows up in Google messages but I don't want to use Google messages as my native sms app. I want to use samsung messages with chat features. Does anybody know if it's because I have an unlocked device? Or is anyone having the same concern? Or does anyone know how to get the chat feature. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Biggus
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S23
Chat in Samsung messages worked on T-Mobile on an unlocked phone, but their version of chat is only compatible with other Samsung phones and possibly only on the same carrier so I moved to Google messages and got used to it. Until RCS is fully working between implementations google's will unfortunately be the most common and best one to use, even if I like Samsung messages more in general. It also handles those obnoxious "xxx loved 'copy of entire paragraph of text' " messages you'll get from iphone users and tags messages with icons instead which is a big plus. Even once RCS is standard between carriers, Apple probably won't implement it so we'll still be dealing with terrible low quality MMS videos from them until the end of time.

View solution in context

17 Replies
VarVara
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
I also purchases an unlocked phone. I disabled the Google messages. Then I swiped up on my screen, searched messages, and found the regular message app.
Unfortunately none of my messages or other important app features transferred over from my old phone. Even with using Smart Switch.
Ekamek
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S23
Sync only your messages to samsung account if you still have the old phone and sync them on the 23. Do the same with call logs if you want them moved.
0 Likes
Letta0307
Comet
Options
Galaxy S23
I thinks rcs is carrier based and Verizon to my knowledge isn't a carrier I could be wrong but try googling to see sorry I couldn't help further
Ekamek
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S23
Yep. Verizon is one of 3 major carriers in the US and the only non-GSM provider. They do things a bit different though. RCS isn't one I would think they are restricting.
0 Likes
Biggus
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S23
They may only support it on the carrier specific firmware as well, this is a thing with a couple of features like voice over WiFi on t-mobile not working on unlocked phones
Ekamek
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S23
Not a Verizon user and didn't know they will go that low on features supported by both Google and Samsung. Learning everyday
0 Likes
Biggus
Nebula
Options
Galaxy S23
I think it's a matter of some custom code they use because of fragmented implementations of features between providers (which is the real problem). From my understanding flashing T-Mobile specific firmware would keep my phone unlocked effectively since I could go back to the standard firmware any time, but it's a process that isn't worth the better voice quality at home since most people text these days... That's the only feature I'm aware of that I can't enable, too. RCS is more important but getting the carriers to agree on a centralized server would be like pulling teeth without legislation.
faithfulServant
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
I agree. I believe it's only on the carrier firmware that our c s is available through samsung messages.
0 Likes
faithfulServant
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23
You are correct. A few years ago Verizon was not on board with RCS. My husband upgraded with Verizon and his phone has it. With the native Samsung message app.