Original topic:

Compass and map app for Galaxy Active 2 Watch?

(Topic created on: 12/27/20 8:39 AM)
rosm2004
Asteroid
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

Hi,

I received a Galaxy Active 2 watch (Bluetooth only) for Christmas and love it!  It is connected to my Note 10+ phone.

Since it has GPS, I'm surprised that there are no built-in map/navigation apps - or at least, I can't find one on the watch or in the Galaxy Wearable app. I'm also looking for a simple compass app.

I've been searching the Galaxy store for compasses and maps but it's really difficult to figure out whether anything I find is what I'm looking for and most of them are paid apps so I don't want to download it in case I don't like it. Can someone please recommend some apps - especially a compass?

Also, if I find something on Google Play (I found one that says it's compatible with all Galaxy devices), how do I know if it works on the watch and is there a way to download it to the watch if it's not in the Galaxy store?

Thanks for your help,.

3 Replies
ShadowArtist201
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
It should be noted that all of your watch apps will come from Galaxy Store, not Google's Play Store.

For navigation, I recommend Navigation Pro. It's free and connects with Google Maps to display directions.

For a compass, you might be stuck paying for an app or just using the compass on your phone. The Active 2 doesn't have a built-in magnetometer like the Note 10+ does, so it relies on GPS for positioning. That's probably one of the reasons why it's so hard to find a decent free compass app.
rosm2004
Asteroid
Options

Thank you. I downloaded Navigation Pro for the watch but it requires the app on the phone too, which isn't free - it's $2.99. So I downloaded that as well. Okay, so it appears I have to start navigating on the phone first and then it will send directions to the watch. Is that correct?  Is it using the GPS from the phone or the watch? 

Regarding the compass, I don't mind paying a small amount for an app as long as I know it works. So I was looking for recommendations.

0 Likes
ShadowArtist201
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Since it's sending directions to the watch, we can assume it's using the phone's GPS.

The only available compass app seems to be Compass GPS. Note that it requires your watch's Bluetooth to be disabled in order to work.
0 Likes