Original topic:

Copy every picture received to storage: Add this feature to the Messages app

(Topic created: 09-05-2021 03:23 PM)
TechnoStud
Asteroid
Options
Samsung Apps and Services
I would like every picture received through text message to be visible in the Photo Gallery. I understand that in the Messages app, you can go into each text thread, view the shared content, and download it from there. However, that is way too cumbersome to have to go into each thread and manually save each picture. Then, what about when do pictures come in, you have to do that all over again. 

Instead, there should be a setting for when media is received via text message, the Messages app copies the media (pictures, gifs) to user storage. This way, it's easy to preserve the library of pictures that friends and family send overtime.

Check out the SMS app called Textra in the Google Play Store. That app saves a copy of all media received to a folder visible in the phone's Photo Gallery. That is a great feature to archive photos received via text message, and it is sorely missed in the Samsung Messages app. 
7 Replies
Sarge2
Asteroid
Options
Been using Textra for several years. Great app. Starting using it when messages app did away with individual notification sound alerts. Never looked back.
0 Likes
TechnoStud
Asteroid
Options
I used Textra for years, but I wanted to give Messages another try to see what's changed. I like the ability to add and remove people from group messages, which you can't do in Textra.

FYI: Messages now offers a way to specify a custom sound for each text thread. 👍

The main feature that the Samsung Messages app lacks is the ability to copy all pictures received to a storage folder on the phone. I don't want all of those great pictures that I received from family and friends locked within my messaging app. I would love a copy of those photos to be automatically be stored in a folder on my phone. That way, I can easily back them up or move those pictures and gifs to my PC.

Furthermore, sometimes I receive a great picture that I want to look up, and I should be able to find it in my phone's photo Gallery. I shouldn't have to dig through my text message threads to try to remember where that photo was at.
Obsidian89
Comet
Options
Tap on 3 dots and you should see something that says "Shared Content " shows you everything you and that particular person have shared with each other .
0 Likes
TechnoStud
Asteroid
Options
Yes, that is a cool feature that Textra doesn't have. Thank you.

However, it doesn't solve my problem of wanting every picture that I receive to automatically be copied to local storage. I hope that Samsung adds that feature to Messages. It would be much appreciated.

I'm just not sure how to get my request to Samsung's developers. Does Samsung have a feature request website where users can vote on possible new features?
SamsungCole
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options

We appreciate your feedback and will tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
TechnoStud
Asteroid
Options
Thank you. What tags should I use in the future so that app feature requests and suggestions might be found by the developers?
0 Likes
SamsungCole
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options

Typically the tag changes between Feature Request and Feedback, we mods will still respond this way to let you know its been seen and we always check the tags to make sure their "flavor of the week" has been notated lol

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes