Original topic:

Find My Devices

(Topic created: 05-17-2022 10:02 PM)
PrinceTheo
Astronaut
Options
Samsung Apps and Services
Dear Samsung,

As an avid Samsung user and actually exclusive Samsung user I am terribly disappointed with Samsung regarding the find my devices feature. 
I recently tried to locate my watch4 classic, although it was connected via Bluetooth it was out of distance to my phone therefore unable to locate. 
Since Samsung makes a quality device, it makes them highly coveted and therefore susceptible to theft. It would be nice if it were possible to actually track these devices the same way the phones can be tracked. Also, it would be super nice if Samsung through the Members App created a database were we could report our devices as stolen so that they would be blacklisted and IMEI number would be attached to Samsung account and if this device were ever turned on the screen would display contact information and blacklisted as well as provide a location. I mean it is bluetooth.. If my watch, earbuds etc... becomes separated from my phone and or address these devices should instantly become permanently locked with bluetooth auto enabled when they become separated until they are back within proximity.
4 Replies
DanG92263
Black Hole
Options
Bluetooth is good up to 60 -100 feet. Cellphones are connected to a broadband network and have a greater range, so how would tracking via Bluetooth work when it is out of range? Perhaps the Watch4 LTE is a better match for you as it connects to a cellphone network too. Not sure if it uses just the Bluetooth to track on that model as well though.

I have the Watch4 BT also, which automatically locks when it doesn't detect that I'm wearing it. Please enable the password security feature on your watch.
WarMaster
Astronaut
Options
I believe the watch would need a sim card and data plan to be traceable
Faith4Hope
Nebula
Options
Unfortunately, as the other comments have said, Bluetooth is only able to do but so much in terms of limited operational range & obstructions & certain interferences can decrease it's range even more.
Although the Bluetooth versions are less expensive (especially since you can't add/share a data plan) & battery life trends to be longer, it's best to get a watch with both Bluetooth & LTE capabilities if possible (if it says LTE, it has both). They have way greater of a range, although they're more expensive (and adding/sharing a data plan will cost extra) & the battery won't last as long.
0 Likes
prariedog
Astronaut
Options
You should be able to go to smartthings find and locate it from there even if your phone is not in bluetooth range. It may take a while to locate however as it uses nearby samsung devices to locate it
0 Likes