JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Google Messages being the default is not a good thing.......yet

(Topic created: 02-18-2022 01:45 PM)
UserTimBo
Astronaut
Options
Samsung Apps and Services
I have been using Messages for years and have been in the beta for the past couple of years. Let me tell you, being in the beta means absolutely nothing. It's not guaranteed that you will get the new features to test out, you aren't even told what those new features are. In the past 2 weeks i've received 8 updates and the only new feature i received was the ability to turn off pinch to zoom. With that said, Messages on a tablet is severly limited. No quick reply, no pinning, no duo integration. Also, its very buggy. You cannot share a link from anywhere to one of your chats. And you cannot send a gif via gboard. I've reported these issues several times and never received a response. So what does this mean for those who sync their samsung phones to their tablets? Will we have to use Messages for text? I for one am not looking forward to this.
0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
UserTimBo
Astronaut
Options
You can install the Messages app from the playstore. Then with Messages on your phone, pair it. So long as your phone is connected/synced with the tablet, you can still make calls.

View solution in context

0 Likes
8 Replies
tom2055
Red Giant
Options
Agreed, if it used the call and text on other devices like Samsung messages has it would be great. As of now since my primary second device is my tablet not a computer samsung messages syncing works worlds better the Google messages.
user734264fo532
Honored Contributor
Options
My wife and I use Google Messages because it's much more reliable than Samsung Messages.

It has nice RCS/Chat features, and an overall better product, plus you can use it in a browser on a desktop or laptop.

We have read *countless* posts about various issues with Samsung Messages. And we recommend the person give Google Messages a try.

Guess what? Their problem no longer exists. Don't believe me. Go tap on my Post list and go read the outcome.

You're in a beta , so yea, there's gonna be bugs - that's why they need beta testers ... they need a broad audience with different use cases.

If you feel overwhelmed with the beta, withdraw.

A good question is. "why has Samsung defaulted to Google Messages over their chat app?"
0 Likes
UserTimBo
Astronaut
Options
I see your point, and i have left the beta several times to see if it made a difference. It didn't. Being in the beta means you get to test new features and provide feedback on them. And also report bugs. But how can you do so when (1) you never get the new features and (2) they never reply to your bug reports submitted via gmail, bug tracker or directly to Google? I see your point about being able to use it on the web. But here's the thing for us Fi users, you only get one or the other. You can either use chat features on the web, or you can disable that and have the ability to make and receive calls within Messages. I don't know what the issues are with Samsung Messages, as i haven't had the opprtunity to use it (i was hoping to when i got my S22 this week), but doesn't look like that will happen unless i install it and choose to use that. I'll see.

That is a good question, and i'd like to know the answer. Perhaps Samsung thought that combined, they would be able to put out a better product and give Apple a taste of their medicine. I'm hoping eventually we will see some benefits from this decision by Samsung. But if they let Google take full control, we will be waiting for a long time.
0 Likes
user734264fo532
Honored Contributor
Options
You can have both Samsung Messages and Google Messages installed and switch between them at will.

Each will display all your current chats. Basically they both read from the same "text database".

Other chat apps are the same. I've installed various chat apps to see how they work and what they offer.

When you fire up a new chat app, it'll take a minute or so, as it's loading up your existing chats, then displays them. Use it for a few minutes, and if you want, exit out, then start up another app and it'll update and show your new chats 👍
user149533at39
Honored Contributor
Options
I agree with hubby ... and nothing I can add, other than to say I prefer Google Messages.

And yes, good to see they've defaulted Google Messages starting with S22 line (not shocked 😁)
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Google Messages is my goto App of Choice...to me so much better than Samsung Messages.
0 Likes
Members_W4HXuUW
Asteroid
Options

So can I use google messages on my tablet S7 and text from it just like I can with samsung messages?  I was under the impression I needed to use the samsung app to use that functionality?   given the recent glitches with group texting and the samsung app I would be happy to make the switch if possible.   Also would switching affect my being able to make phone calls from my tablet like I can now?  

0 Likes
Solution
UserTimBo
Astronaut
Options
You can install the Messages app from the playstore. Then with Messages on your phone, pair it. So long as your phone is connected/synced with the tablet, you can still make calls.
0 Likes