cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

How does Samsung Health measure calories burned per activity?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've started using the ballet activity because I'm taking a class but rather than have it going while I'm in class, I input the data (I don't think it matters, either way, as it doesn't need to be on my body--only track the time). I'm curious how it guesses the calories burned for various levels of activity? Say, standing at a barre, doing a variety of moves for an hour versus twirling and jumping across the floor. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: How does Samsung Health measure calories burned per activity?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Keeping track of how many calories you intake and how many you burn has never been easier. The watch can monitor burned calories in real time with the Samsung Health app on the watch, and record exercise information, such as steps.

The burned calories data is intended for fitness and informational purposes only. This is not intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions, or in the cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease.

Calorie Count Intake
The watch will display estimated calories burned, based on the current time of day that it is initialized, even after a reset.
Data on the watch takes into account a person's basal metabolic rate (BMR), which is calculated using the information in the profile.
The calorie count displayed does not mean the exact burned calories during exercise, and is not the same as the true burned calories data.
The calories calculation may increase based on the basal metabolic rate (BMR), even with not exercising. This is normal operation.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Keeping track of how many calories you intake and how many you burn has never been easier. The watch can monitor burned calories in real time with the Samsung Health app on the watch, and record exercise information, such as steps.

The burned calories data is intended for fitness and informational purposes only. This is not intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions, or in the cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease.

Calorie Count Intake
The watch will display estimated calories burned, based on the current time of day that it is initialized, even after a reset.
Data on the watch takes into account a person's basal metabolic rate (BMR), which is calculated using the information in the profile.
The calorie count displayed does not mean the exact burned calories during exercise, and is not the same as the true burned calories data.
The calories calculation may increase based on the basal metabolic rate (BMR), even with not exercising. This is normal operation.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Way to not answer the question Larry...

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So the watch measures heart rate and motion, does this impact the calculated BMR, or are you just estimating the calories burned by information in your profile such as weight.  For example,  if I spend an hour standing on an elliptical machine, are  the same number of calories recorded  as if I was working out vigorously for an hour?

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have tried this app and it's rubbish... it doesn't matter what you average heart rate is, it uses the same calculations and gives the same answer. Example, on circuit training it uses 5.94 calories per minute regardless of ave heart beat, be it 65 or 130, the calories will always be 5.94 or there abouts per minute. Takes no consideration for energy used,  there must be a better way Samsung could calculate heart rate to calories!!

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've noticed the calculated calories for my BMR profile for a power yoga class is 270-300. However I just got the samsung active watch which is now calculating the same classes at 169-175. Less than half what was previously calculated. I've also noticed the floor count in the watch only counts half of my floors and counts if I ride up an escalator. Either the app was way off or the watch is. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Screenshot_20190325-201944_Samsung Health.jpg

Screenshot_20190325-202830_Sheets.jpg

According to the formula below, to calculate calories burned based on heart rate a 63 minute workout with an average heart rate of 144 for a 40 year old female weighing 127 pounds should have been calculated at around 597 calories burned or 539 calories above the Basal Metabolic Rate. However, the calories burned calculated by the watch is only 308 calories. Why is there such a large variance in calories between the watch's estimated calories burned and the calories burned formula? The formula as defined by the Journal of Sports Science is as follows:

Calories Burned By Heart Rate Calculator

Accurate Calorie Burned Calculator Formula for Men(kCal):

Calorie Burned = [ (AGE_IN_YEAR x 0.2017) + (WEIGHT_IN_KILOGRAM x 0.1988)+ (HEART_BEAT_PER_MINUTE x 0.6309) - 55.0969] x DURATION_IN_MINUTE / 4.184

Accurate Calorie Burned Calculator Formula for Women(kCal):

Calorie Burned = [ (AGE_IN_YEAR x 0.074) + (WEIGHT_IN_KILOGRAM x 0.1263) + (HEART_BEAT_PER_MINUTE x 0.4472) - 20.4022] x DURATION_IN_MINUTE / 4.184

Formular provided

by: Journal of Sport Science

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi, thank you informing there's a formula to more accurately calculate calories burned but I think there may be a typo error.  It's minus the weight calculation (- KG x 0.1263) and not plus. After reading your post, I found this calorie calculator based on the formula you provided. Thanks.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.sht...

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It's a bunch of useless nonsense. I was canoeing today for 4 hours with a decent effort and I've done over 20 km. Now the app thinks I've only burned 300 calories. Don't make me lough. 

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same problem, kayaked 11mi indicates burned 300 calories.