JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How to make Bixby understand a different spelling of a name

(Topic created on: 7/19/17 3:00 PM)
userpCvqzmnTjX
Constellation
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

I need to find out how to make Bixby understand how my wife's name is spelled. Her name is spelled Kaci but Bixby keeps pulling up Casey therefore all the commands pertaining to her name come back wrong. Any suggestions? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
VerbumVeritum
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options

@dennis_jb hey! I can get that fixed for you. 

When you go into quick commands, set up to call David or John, or whoever Bixby has as a template. When you select the command, there should be blue text highlighted around the name. Just click the name from your contacts instead, then set a good command. Screenshots included.

View solution in context

49 Replies
SamsungCamp
Comet
Options

@userpCvqzmnTjX Thank you for reaching out. I had a word with our R&D team. Currently the software recognizes only fairly common names, but that functionality will be increased, and more names added to the data base in future updates.

0 Likes
Options

This is a huge issue for me. Many of my close family have non standard spellings or uncommon names. I have cousins named Zoe and Zooey, Lee and Leigh. Bixby cannot cope.

dennis_jb
Asteroid
Options

Yep, having same issue - daughter's name is Mica and despite repeatedly correcting it manually after searching, it still offers me Michael, Michelle, Misha and countless others, just not Mica.

:(

0 Likes
VerbumVeritum
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options

@dennis_jb, Bixby is learning, so differently spelled and pronounced names especially will be hard for her to understand, since she just recently finished learning English. Hopefully, as new languages and updates are provided, Bixby will be even more comprehensive with understand.

In the mean while, a good solution would be to give a nick name to the contact you're having problems with Bixby understanding. Or use a quick command to manually input the contact using a template Bixby provides for you. That way you could say anything for the command, even one word. Hope this helps. Message me if you need help with quick commands! Cheers! ;)

0 Likes
dennis_jb
Asteroid
Options

Thanks for the reply :)

I've tried creating a Quick Command to find & text/call/message whatever this contact, but can't get manage to get Bixby to identify the contact correctly in order to set it up!

You mention "using a template Bixby provides for you", but the templates I'm seeing that use Contacts have example contact names in them that Bixby seems to take literaly (I've nearly messaged 'David' 246 times this morning - haha); I can't see how to amend the example names for actual ones. And if I try to create from scratch, I get the original issue all over again, where it just keeps giving me the incorrect names.

Any suggestions are very welcome - thanks :)

Solution
VerbumVeritum
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options

@dennis_jb hey! I can get that fixed for you. 

When you go into quick commands, set up to call David or John, or whoever Bixby has as a template. When you select the command, there should be blue text highlighted around the name. Just click the name from your contacts instead, then set a good command. Screenshots included.

View solution in context

VerbumVeritum
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options

I actually sent you a message with those screenshots.

0 Likes
dennis_jb
Asteroid
Options

Thanks for that @VerbumVeritum - really appreciate your help, that's got it fixed :)

0 Likes
VerbumVeritum
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options

@dennis_jb glad that worked! =)

0 Likes