cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Office 365 and Samsung e-mail app

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Using Samsung Mail App to connect to my Office 365 account works but everyday I get an e-mail notice that I need to update device security settings. I activate but the next day, I get the same notice all over again. The device overall was setup on first boot with a Gmail account

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Office 365 and Samsung e-mail app

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Making some progress.  Not sure what actually caused the improvements so far but here's what I did.  (am still getting ~once a day notices that I need to update Samsung e-mail security settings for my Office 365 account, though).

Went to App Permissions in SETTINGS for Samsung e-mail app.  Noticed all expected permissions were turned on except for Location.  Turned on Locations for Email app.  Looked at All Permissions from the dropdown menu, top right.

At some time later, got another Update Security Settings for Email notice.  Did so.  After "activating," was browsing Device Administrator permissions and now noticed that Samsung Email was granted permission as a Device Administrator (had never seen there before).

Now my problem boils down to this.  Still seem to be getting periodic Update Security Settings notifications for O365 account in question.  No matter what, if I create a new e-mail to that account, a new Calendar appointment, or a new Contact, they always come through to my Galaxy Note 8 and being in the respective Samsung apps, are synched to my Gear S3 Frontier watch.  However, here's the major problem still remaining.  For some unknown reason, appointments in the Calendar already synched will just up and disappear entirely after a while.  When that happens, newly created ones will still sync over and still appear on the Note 8 (until the next disappearance event) as will new Contacts and new e-mails created to be in or go to the O365 account.

If I go to the Email app and uninstall, then reinstall the O365 account, all my missing Calendar events will be restored, 'til the next mysterious disappearance.

So, in summary, after granting Locations permission to the Samsung Email app, I appear to have allowed it to become a Device Administrator.  Synching of e-mails and Contacts seems to be working fine.  No matter what new Calendar events from my O365 account are synced to my Samsung Calendar (and to my watch) but older events will all periodically COMPLETELY disappear and only uninstalling/reinstalling my O365 account in Samsung Email brings back the lost Calendar events from the Office 365 servers.  I still seem to be getting once or twice a day notices from the Office 365 servers that I need to Update Security Settings.

So I hope Samsung and Microsoft will get together and fix the bugs.  I have no problems with e-mails, contacts, or calendar events on my Windows Phones (a Lumia 1520 and a Lumia 950 XL).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What kind of device?

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Are you still needing assistance?  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry.  I thought I'd checked "Email me when someone replies."

Yes.  Still haven't found a solution.  I contacted Office 365 support and a tech said, "It's Samsung's problem, not Microsoft's."  He said that Samsung does not grant Microsoft permission through the Samsung e-mail app to administer the phone and set up the required permissions, including remote wipe, etc., that they require of client devices using their Office 365 business services.  I think he said that he had the same problem on his Pixel phone attempting to setup Gmail to work with Office 365.

So if you moderators can send my plight up the chain of command at Samsung, that would be great.  Otherwise, looks like the Galaxy Note 8 used in conjunction with my Galaxy Gear S3 Frontier is useless for business purposes with Office 365.  If I can't set up the Samsung email app and Calendar with Office 365, I can't fully sync my e-mail and calendar to my Gear S3, since (because of lack of app development for Tizen), it basically only works fully through the Samsung Mail and Calendar programs.  I can get notifications through the MS Outlook app (new e-mail arrivals, calendar reminders, etc) but that's about it other than getting Samsung e-mail/calendar/contacts to be properly authorized with the Office 365 Active Exchange Servers, etc.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Making some progress.  Not sure what actually caused the improvements so far but here's what I did.  (am still getting ~once a day notices that I need to update Samsung e-mail security settings for my Office 365 account, though).

Went to App Permissions in SETTINGS for Samsung e-mail app.  Noticed all expected permissions were turned on except for Location.  Turned on Locations for Email app.  Looked at All Permissions from the dropdown menu, top right.

At some time later, got another Update Security Settings for Email notice.  Did so.  After "activating," was browsing Device Administrator permissions and now noticed that Samsung Email was granted permission as a Device Administrator (had never seen there before).

Now my problem boils down to this.  Still seem to be getting periodic Update Security Settings notifications for O365 account in question.  No matter what, if I create a new e-mail to that account, a new Calendar appointment, or a new Contact, they always come through to my Galaxy Note 8 and being in the respective Samsung apps, are synched to my Gear S3 Frontier watch.  However, here's the major problem still remaining.  For some unknown reason, appointments in the Calendar already synched will just up and disappear entirely after a while.  When that happens, newly created ones will still sync over and still appear on the Note 8 (until the next disappearance event) as will new Contacts and new e-mails created to be in or go to the O365 account.

If I go to the Email app and uninstall, then reinstall the O365 account, all my missing Calendar events will be restored, 'til the next mysterious disappearance.

So, in summary, after granting Locations permission to the Samsung Email app, I appear to have allowed it to become a Device Administrator.  Synching of e-mails and Contacts seems to be working fine.  No matter what new Calendar events from my O365 account are synced to my Samsung Calendar (and to my watch) but older events will all periodically COMPLETELY disappear and only uninstalling/reinstalling my O365 account in Samsung Email brings back the lost Calendar events from the Office 365 servers.  I still seem to be getting once or twice a day notices from the Office 365 servers that I need to Update Security Settings.

So I hope Samsung and Microsoft will get together and fix the bugs.  I have no problems with e-mails, contacts, or calendar events on my Windows Phones (a Lumia 1520 and a Lumia 950 XL).

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Since doing what I described in my previous post, including deleting and reinstalling my Office 365 account in the Samsung e-mail app after turning on Location permissions for the e-mail app, then seeing it become a "Device Administrator," I have stopped received Update Security Settings notices and my Calendar events have been stable.  Switching to Maximum Power Savings mode and/or turning off my device and rebooting has not affected anything.

So not 100% sure why but my previous inability to activate my Office 365 account and give it control over my Galaxy Note 8 device administration has gone away.  My problem appears to be solved and I will mark my previous post as the "solution" - although I'm not 100% sure exactly what caused my vexing problem to go away.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Why are not repaired your product in Pakistan
Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I apologize, we only have the ability to support within the US. Please visit http://www.samsung.com/visitcountry for support in your area.