Original topic:

One Hand Operation + - Lets add popup apps in there the way you added pop up widgets.

(Topic created: 06-26-2022 02:24 PM)
Lanos
Cosmic Ray
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

We should add a pop up app window into the one had operation the way the pop up widget exists.

Why?

Currently popup apps in tablet mode overlay above all things on screen and even when we minimize them they leave a little logo that floats on screen.

It would be a better workflow for multi tasking to allow it to hide in the one hand operation edge trigger.

Also, to avoid having to add an additional swipe feature, add tabs per each popup app open instead of forcing them to be minimized into logo for navgiation.

This would be an improvement over iOS iPad slide over.

Combine that trigger with the pop up widgets and your multi tasking is on a whole other level. We dont even need floatuing windows at that point.

Here's an example of what im saying.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1804zm6v7Swe5Q87WDSBpJ_esrF4LkDUw/view?usp=sharing

6 Replies
DanG92263
Black Hole
Options
This is already a thing on Samsung phone's. It's called 'Open in pop up view' and it works whether or not you're in one-hand mode.
DanG92263
Black Hole
Options
You're post is confusing to me. I can't tell if you want this feature on a Samsung phone, Samsung tablet, or Samsung PC/laptop.
0 Likes
Lanos
Cosmic Ray
Options

All of this is in Relation to the Tab S8+ (Tab S8 Series)

Pop-Up apps are great, I love that we can have multiple windows open all at the same time.

What i'm asking about is to have the option to have a pop-up window that can hide itself off to the right or left.

This would essentially borrow from the concept of Slideover on iPad where an app can live in this toggled window that can hide or appear on trigger.

What makes it useful is also that it acts as a drawer to house and keep organized multiple apps.

How I would use it is as follows:

I would open files, calendar, reminders, email, calculator and social media apps. All of these would live in a hide/unhide window I can roulette through for quick reference and quick actions while I get back to whatever I was working on.

As popup apps currently stand, its a few steps to trigger them into that window mode, they live on top of everything so you have to hide them in order to see your actual work space (which is problematic if you have three or four apps open across the screen)

When we do minimize/hide the popup apps they are turned into a floating logo that can be in the way and has to be kept as a piece we move around while we work.

So its almost there but not quite optimized for a fully effortless multitasking in tablet mode.

All of this is irrelevant in DeX mode, however I can see this quick reference, slide over function being super useful even in Dex mode.

In fact on my MacOS I installed an app called slidepad to mirror the only feature thats useful on an iPad the Slideover app and it makes the experience way more productive.

Does this help clear things up? 

0 Likes
DanG92263
Black Hole
Options
Yes, and I get your thought on it hiding. Thanks for the clarity.

You know that you can make the pop-up app a floating icon and move it out of the way, right?

I've just have never thought to myself that such feature was missing. I mean, I think half the people that have an Adroid phone rarely, if ever, use the split screen feature. And doesn't the Recents page of opened apps fulfill this need?

I do like the Edge Panal and bottom app drawer. I use them often. I don't think I want another panal to open. Perhaps if you could drag the pop-up to the Edge Panel and save it there for future use, I would use that, yes.
Lanos
Cosmic Ray
Options

Yeah, I know what you mean. The work around I found was with an app called My gesture. It has an internal app drawer function as an option when setting a hot edge.

It has an added ability to long press tomopen in popup. It's basically the same idea I was trying to get done.

It works better in dex mode because minimizing an app window doesn't turn it into a floating icon.

Using a popup app in tablet mode makes it hover over everything causing a ux problem when trying to open another app that opens in full screen instead of pop up.

So as long as I'm in dex mode it's fine.

Now the issue is dex mode only rotates when an app is full screen unlike tablet mode but I've made the most of it.

The last thing left for it to really flourish is a better files app - solid explorer is better than the native app but all of Android has poor drag and drop. It's hit or miss with some apps reminding yout it's a tablet and not a 2-in-1.

I'll be patient because I know it'll be worth it and when it's finally there it will be better than most other laptops as a while.

0 Likes
kitts
Astronaut
Options
Hello