Original topic:

Privacy Policy Concerns Anybody?

(Topic created on: 6/6/21 1:58 PM)
J8El1
Astronaut
Options
Samsung Apps and Services
Has anyone here actually reviewed the privacy policy? 

Is it just me or is it pretty "intrusive"? There seems to be no registry to privatize or separate your identity from your activity (quite the opposite, actually). 

It also lists no specific ways that our information is actively protected. 

The "opt out" process also seems very (deliberately?) cumbersome. It tells me to sign in to my Samsung account, which I assume I have if I have a members account on here, but 8t doesn't come up (to be fair, that could be user error on my oart, but idk how). 

It's probably not doing me any favors since the last update probably has the same policy, but I have actually avoided installing the latest Samsung members app update (have also avoided the otherwise appealing Free Tv feature as well). 

If I'm missing something here please feel free to point it out. I'd much rather be "wrong" so I could just not worry about it, but I can't see what I could be overlooking.

SAMSUNG you could be the HERO we need and define yourself as a COMPANY APART from other companies like Microsoft and Apple (and Google). You can position yourself as a truly "customer first" company by putting user privacy and protection as a priority. As I understand you've already done similar with your innovative policy on being the first to promise 3 year phone updates. Please be an industry leader in this area as well! I, and I am sure many others, would be grateful customers for life!

8 Replies
Andytheman
Nebula
Options
Yes! I am appalled at the information Samsung gives out, including credit card numbers, bank account numbers, all browser information, postal mail, email address, all my history, IP addresses, shared with social media? Cookies, beacons, pixel tags, etc.. have been sold? Websites we frequent, this puts a pause button on my activities, my real name, records of products or services and etc? This gravely puts a pause on my activities on this site.
Shayshon
Comet
Options
Hi,

You agreed to these terms, and they keep everything between trusted sources.

Cheers,
Shayshon
0 Likes
J8El1
Astronaut
Options
Do they?? Really? They don't specify anything that they do to protect your info or any specific security measures. I looked and found no such info anywhere. How do you know? And trusted according to who? And by who?
0 Likes
J8El1
Astronaut
Options
@Andytheman
I must have missed the part about bank statements, too! And address and other info... Heck there was so much I am not surprised I missed some of it.
0 Likes
Andytheman
Nebula
Options
It states you can opt out but it doesn't tell you how. Too late now. My participation on this site, even though I won a badge may be used against you Samsung. You have broken my trust in you. Why are you selling my information? This is awful news, can't believe it
0 Likes
J8El1
Astronaut
Options
I did find a hyperlink (I you go to the actual policy, not just my screenshot). You click there but need to make what looks like another separate account (not sure why this one doesn't work, or maybe this login info want saved to autofill?) and once you log in there you can apparently opt out but...seems deliberately difficult to do (to discourage doing it, perhaps).
0 Likes
J8El1
Astronaut
Options
@Andytheman
If we and other readers here keep posting, keep this thread active, and asking for change from Samsung just MAYBE they'll listen to their customers.

They have done a few promising things in the past so maybe they will be willing to innovate here, too?!!
0 Likes
J8El1
Astronaut
Options
I'm sure some Samsung agent will come and comment fairly soon. Probably with a boilerplate answer. If they don't remove this thread completely.

I hope instead that they can be industry innovators for customer privacy and user advocates the same way they have been for phone updates for 3 years. They already have most of the best hardware on the market. People are pushing for privacy and the company that listens to the growing demand will have more consumer business and customer /fan support much more worthwhile and profitable than selling info with sneaky policy agreements.

But if Samsung heeds the turning of the tides and supports privacy and security -especially with all the checked in the world right now- it could really get a HUGE head start on all it's competitors. And deceit for bloatware I like their products. Well, at least their Note 20 Ultra that I have! So I would love to keep using it with a Twitter sense of privacy. But i would not mind if SAMSUNG were to be the company to blaze this trail for consumers.
0 Likes