cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: How to remove the "bixby" app

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Your comments help no one who has bought a Samsung 8. I too have been a loyal customer for 6 or 7 years but can't stand all the poo ups that randomly show up n my phone. Already switched tvs to another brand .... edgelit vs fald. Now it looks like phone too.

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userXOAVBmrYyF bon voyage! Enjoy whatever phone you end up getting. Bixby is awesome and can do things other voice assistant can't. Period. I don't know what you're referring to in the way of "pop ups." Bixby only activates when I want her to and leaves me alone when I don't.

Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've been using only my tablet for the past week or so; the hands-free features are working fine on it while I'm on the road, and I've had zero issues.  

My S8, on the other hand, recently factory reset to try and keep the same things working on it that worked on the S7 I traded in, lives in the glovebox or console and I've only used it a few times in the past week, including to take pictures of the kids... and sure enough, there's Bixby wanting to help me shop when I forgot to not use the default camera.  And, all the data and cache I cleared for all six bixby apps is right back where it was.  And, I still can't register my voice because it is still insisting it is too noisy.  And, google assistant still does not work unless I use it immediately after rebooting the phone.

I'm installing Package Disabler to try and get rid of it.  That, plus all updates from every source on the phone I could find are all turned off - I'm basically going to try and force it to stay at near-factory reset condition and see if preventing any and all updates will at least prevent samsung or verizon from installing a new version of some app or another that will break package disabler.  It would be nice if my phone would work properly at least for a little while, it's only a few months old, and the only thing I get from Samsung or Verizon is "Yeah, we know. It's because it's a new app.  But don't worry, it will be great eventually, just you wait and see."

I understand now why there is a bounty on finding a way to root these.  I'd rather void my warranty to have a working phone than to have a warranty on a phone that doesn't do anything I need it to do.

What a joke.

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@usere2ysUGkjG0, talking about rooting here is strictly forbidden. Cheers!

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You sound like a Samsung plant. If you do actually work for Samsung, you might consider opening your ears instead of your mouth. Thus far, you've probably managed to piss off most people who have read your posts with your disrespectful judgments and propagandizing. On top of that, policing the thread for discussion of rooting goes to show how out-of-touch you are. No one really wants to root their phone. It's a last-ditch effort solution to bad decisions forced on users. If hardware manufacturers and service providers would just stick to their own markets rather than forcing their "choices" on their customers, we would all be much happier.

Example:

Welcome to Samsung Restaurant! As the official decorator and  china designer, I have taken it upon myself to order you the bacon-covered steak with a side of deep-fried salmon smothered in butter. What's that you say? You're a vegetarian? Come on! Give it a try. As a bonus you'll get a side of chicken strips, on the house.

Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Problem solved for now.

Factory reset, cleared cache partition, turned off all updates from Google, Samsung, Verizon, Amazon app store, Installed Package Disabler Pro, PDP Agent, and KLMS Agent.  Used PDP to disable anything with the word Bixy in the name.

Installed a different camera app as well; Bixby is baked into the default camera app, and likes to pop up whenever using the default camera (and then the whole process needs repeated; Bixby is extremely invasive once any of its childre are activated.)

Three road trips later - roughly 12 hours on the road - and it hasn't popped up at all, and OK Google is working fine without needing to reboot the phone.  Fingers crossed, but this looks like the way to get this thing under control and get back the functionality that I expected when I bought this stupid thing Smiley Wink

Not removed per se, but no longer functional.  And with updates turned off totally, it should stay non-functional until I finally get rid of it!

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I abandoned Apple because I like being able to decide myself what apps to use and not use on my $600+ smartphone. I do not want useless adware clogging up my space and I do not want to lose even 1 kB of RAM or data or 1% of battery power to this junk, it's constantly on and draining my phone no matter how many times I force stop it and remove data.

I've never used voice services in my life and I never will, I'd rather save the storage and juice for something that's useful and wanted. Google already tracks our every move through our phones, I don't need another program to do the same but provide zero use but a ton of annoyance. 

Good for you if you like it, but everyone should have to option wheter to have it clog up their phone or not.

Btw, will this app work? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kunkunsoft.packagedisabler I saw a review on the Package Disabler Pro that ir doesn't work anymore on Android 7.0+?

Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userfpNtKPCT3w wrote:

Btw, will this app work? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kunkunsoft.packagedisabler I saw a review on the Package Disabler Pro that ir doesn't work anymore on Android 7.0+?

@userfpNtKPCT3w  yes, that worked for me.  It had to install a separate service, which used to be bundled with it... which is what most people are referring to when they say it didn't work. 

In your application manager, be certain to uninstall all updates to bixby before running pdp, then turn off updates... samsung is rolling out updates that specifically cripple apps that mess with bixby.   The bixby apps will update separate from Google play, so turning off updates from samsung and your carrier is important. 

Also, get a different camera app, bixby is baked into the samsung camera app and can't be removed there even with pdp.

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This may be old tech...  I have a clear silicone case on S8,  Using a new single edge razor blade,  shave button off outside & inside the silicone case.  Be careful, nearly lost finger....   

However,    BIXBY  BEGONE !!

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Some people would sooner lose a finger than use bixby