Original topic:

Real Time Text

(Topic created: 08-13-2020 04:09 PM)
user4Gdqjep2wZ
Cosmic Ray
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

I have a Samsung Galaxy S20. There is an embedded function called Real Time Text or RTT for short. This is not an app that I downloaded and there is no means to disable it. This function is for hearing impaired persons to be able to text or receive text in a call.  This function has a mind of its own and randomy starts itself up while in a voice call. When this happens the call is terribly interfered with and usually must be terminated. Samsung needs to provide those of us who have no need for this function to rid our phones of it. If someone replies "Go into settings" I will immediately know you have no idea what this function is. It cannot be uninstalled because it is not an app. Step up Samsung! You have made a bad mistake this time!  There are many posts online from unsatisfied users. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
ChristianVonD
Asteroid
Options

I have a Verizon Galaxy S10+ and my partner has an ATT Galaxy S20+ and I can confirm that (06.18.2021) 'disable' or 'off is NOT an option. I corrected it by  installing and making default the ACR Phone Dialer on Google Play Store. No more RTT problems.Screenshot_20210618-175350_Call settings.jpg

-Christian

View solution in context

0 Likes
29 Replies
JohnLoose
Supernova
Options

@user4Gdqjep2wZ 

Are you using the default phone app or another one? I know Google provides instructions on how to disable it for their phone app. Have you tried any routine troubleshooting on this?

If one of these steps above help, let us know here and select this post as the solution.

As well, does the Samsung support team have any help for you? You might contact them!

Inside the US? --> https://www.samsung.com/us/support/contact/

Outside the US? --> https://www.samsung.com/us/common/visitlocationsite.html

--

Please click " ✓ Accept as Solution" if this reply solved your issue or pointed you in the right direction. Click the heart to let me know your appreciation! 

Notification emails do not accept replies. Login to the community to respond to this thread.

user4Gdqjep2wZ
Cosmic Ray
Options

This is NOT an app.  If it were I would happily uninstall it and would not be posting here. I am not USING anything but my phone as a voice communication device. This EMBEDDED function is part of the software on the phone. It was also on the Galaxy S10. The only way to disable this seems to be if Samsung writes an update to take it off. I repeat, this is a FUNCTION not an APP. There is nothing in the settings that will turn it off. 

JohnLoose
Supernova
Options

@user4Gdqjep2wZ 

Appreciate the reply but would love if you helped out with a more considerable reading. I did not insist or state this was an app.

Have you tried any of our suggestions here?

Were you also seeing this issue (not just the function) on the S10 or just the S20? (For reference I use a S20 Ultra daily and have NEVER had the issue you're seeing, so this is very likely an issue on your phone that might be resolvable with your help.)

Are you using the default phone app or one from another developer?

It's very helpful to get details here instead of pushback. Work with us, and this might be resolvable.

0 Likes
user4Gdqjep2wZ
Cosmic Ray
Options

Have you read any of my posts?  I experienced this on a Galaxy S10 and now on a Galaxy S20.  This is NOT an app.  It is a built in function.  I did not download it and I don't want it.  Because it is NOT an app, I cannot disable or uninstall it.  On the Galaxy S10 I tried all sorts of RESET functions and the FUNCTION (it certainly is not a feature!) is still there.  There are many erroneous posts on various lookups about turning RTT off.  They are incorrect.  If I knew how to resolve this my posts would not be on here.  There would be no need.  I spent one entire day talking to Tech Support from my carrier and trying the things they had me do.  None of this made any changes except me losing things I did want.  When I bought the S20 I did a full factory reset on the S10 and guess what??  RTT is still there.  I appreciate suggestions, but if you are unfamiliar to RTT and how it is built into the device, you need to sit in front of one of the devices and see the function.  I am not claiming superiority, I am claiming foul from Samsung.  

ChristianVonD
Asteroid
Options

Apparently, via other forums, if your caller has RTT on, you get it automatically (unconfirmed).
My Galaxy S10+ has NO off switch for RTT. The default dialer via Verizon/Samsung took a UI dive recently.
I installed the Google dialer and the UI was better, but RTT was on EVERY call.
I had to get RID of it, and finally, I found ACR Phone Dialer in the Google Play Store:
Highly recommend.
-Christian

0 Likes
user4Gdqjep2wZ
Cosmic Ray
Options

I have not downloaded any app related to RTT.  You and others have referred to RTT as an app and it clearly is not.  I had an S10 that did this as well.  I spent a day doing various resets on the S10.  They proved to have no effect except my losing things I did not wish to lose and spending the following day trying to piece it all back.  There is a vertical elipse that appears on the screen in a call and the issue seems to be RTT is activated by that elipse.  I cannot tell you any more.  RTT is built in.  I have not downloaded any app that alludes to hearing impairment.  I apologize if you think I am pushing back.  You say you are using an S20 daily.  Do you use an external device of any kind like a headphone or earbuds?  If you hold this phone up to your ear you can activate RTT.    

0 Likes
JohnLoose
Supernova
Options

@user4Gdqjep2wZ have you searched Settings for "Real Time Text" and disabled that? Mine is disabled whether I make a call on Buds Live or using just phone. 

I've NEVER referred to this as an app. Please read carefully my replies. 

You can access Setings >> Accessibility >> Hearing Enhancements >> Real Time Text to disable if enabled.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or issues. Otherwise have a lovely day!

0 Likes
user4Gdqjep2wZ
Cosmic Ray
Options

Please follow the steps you just sent me on your Galaxy S20.  When you get to Real Time Text please identify the OFF switch and send me a screen shot of where it appears.  I will say this one more time.  If there were a way to turn this RTT off, I would not be posting here.

user4Gdqjep2wZ
Cosmic Ray
Options

I just read back through the "suggestions" and one was to boot phone is Safe Mode (same as Airplane Mode on S20) and see if the phenomenon occurs.  I did just that and there is no way to make a phone call in this mode.  The small vertical elipse ONLY appears while in a call.  And just for the record you asked:

"Are you using the default phone app or one from another developer?"

0 Likes