Original topic:

Samsung Browser not opening Google Home Page Links normally

(Topic created: 11-21-2022 01:35 PM)
Members_fYq5CoZ
Constellation
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

My Samsung Browser on a Galaxy S10 SM-G970F no longer opens links properly on the Google Home Page that shows news articles that Google thinks I might be interested in.  Before, I could just touch the article title and it would open the article.  Now, when I touch the article title, it pops a small box near the top left with a link icon.  I have to touch that which expands the link URL, then I have to touch that to finally open the article.  I've checked the settings and I don't see anything that sounds like it would have changed the previous behavior.

It's not anything to do with the phone, because Chrome Browser still works normally.  I have no idea if it occurred with an update as everything is set to auto-update and I don't keep track of version numbers.  I also couldn't say how long it's been like this, because it started a little while ago and I've just now gotten fed up with it enough to post and ask the community about it.

I've attached screenshots of what I'm talking about.

This thing pops up when I click an article title:

Snipaste_2022-11-21_15-27-02.jpg

This pops up when I click on the thing that popped up in the previous image:

Snipaste_2022-11-21_15-27-25.jpg

6 Replies
KennewickMan
Supernova
Options
Not sure TBH. I just use the Google app to pull up the news feed and select that way. It just opens Samsung Internet and goes to the link directly.
0 Likes
user365170tdJ15
Honored Contributor
Options
Good luck with it ...

We opted, a long time ago, to not use Sammy Internet... reason #1 is it's not cross platform... we constantly switch between our Linux desktops and laptops and phones, so need a browser that runs on all and that settings, bookmarks, etc are available on each
0 Likes
Js1480
Constellation
Options

I'm also experiencing the issue and it's really annoying!  Why make us click 3 different places to read a dang article?  I'm confused about why this changed or why it's even a thing.  Why should reading an article be a 'process'?  I'm open to changing a setting but again, why is this even a thing?

Redkilljoy
Astronaut
Options
There is no way to change that other then using a different browser. Here is a link that explains it better https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/disable-google-amp-google-search-android-iphone/
0 Likes
user4F9oxBcQdt
Astronaut
Options
Long press the article's link and samsung internet will pop up a menu with the option 'open in new window". Bypasses the google link, found this out by accident. You can still go back to previous page when done, like normal. Sick of google - so invasive!
0 Likes
Js1480
Constellation
Options
Yup, i stumbled on to this which lowers the number of clicks to read an article but its still not a single click.
0 Likes