cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Samsung Health Weight Management calculations are...interesting?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm curious how the graph in Weight Management is calculated. This morning I went for a 20 minute walk (59 calories burned), apparently I've burned about 64 calories in "light activity", and I skipped breakfast. Even ignoring the calories burned (which both seem a little inflated to me), the app says I'm 300 calories OVER my target at the moment.

If I can be 300 calories over my target having consumed *negative* calories so far today, what is this graph supposed to be telling me?

Screenshot_2020-01-31-08-39-48.png

I realize there's some calculations involved with the time of day in relation to daily calorie allotment, and this values slowly goes down over the course of the day, but how can I ever be too high having consumed zero (or fewer!) calories?

Whatever this chart is trying to tell me, it's not working.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Samsung Health Weight Management calculations are...interesting?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey @userowt6kReocg

That infographic tells you how far over or under you are from your target caloric difference for the day. Looking at the image, I'm going to guess you set your caloric goal to be -1000 calories per day, or, lose 2 lbs. per week in the settings. Since your calories burned in the image is 699, and your goal is -1000, you are still 300 calories over your target.

It's not saying you are not negative on calories, it is showing you how far away you are from your caloric difference goal.

I like to think of it more like an instant snapshot of what you are allowed to eat at this exact moment to stay on track for your goal.  That said, you can obviously just eat your calorie goal for the day and call it good, it should balance out by the end of the day either way.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey @userowt6kReocg

That infographic tells you how far over or under you are from your target caloric difference for the day. Looking at the image, I'm going to guess you set your caloric goal to be -1000 calories per day, or, lose 2 lbs. per week in the settings. Since your calories burned in the image is 699, and your goal is -1000, you are still 300 calories over your target.

It's not saying you are not negative on calories, it is showing you how far away you are from your caloric difference goal.

I like to think of it more like an instant snapshot of what you are allowed to eat at this exact moment to stay on track for your goal.  That said, you can obviously just eat your calorie goal for the day and call it good, it should balance out by the end of the day either way.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I guess that explains it, but I still find the calculation worthless for my needs. I hope other users get more value out of it.

Thanks for the response.