JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Messages on the web

(Topic created: 10-13-2019 05:56 PM)
aplocher
Asteroid
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

I wanted to be able to access my SMS messages on the web so a while ago I switched to Google Messages.

I recently got a Samsung Gear Watch, which required me to switch back to Samsung Messages.

• Is there anyway to get the best of all worlds: SMS messages on my Phone, Watch, and PC?
    • Does Samsung Messages have a web interface (or a small desktop app)?
    • Or, is there a way to get Google Messages to work with my watch?

Thanks

20 Replies
Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options

@aplocher wrote:

I wanted to be able to access my SMS messages on the web so a while ago I switched to Google Messages.

I recently got a Samsung Gear Watch, which required me to switch back to Samsung Messages.

• Is there anyway to get the best of all worlds: SMS messages on my Phone, Watch, and PC?
    • Does Samsung Messages have a web interface (or a small desktop app)?
    • Or, is there a way to get Google Messages to work with my watch?

Thanks

Try Samsung DeX app:

https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/apps/samsung-dex/

Anonymous
Not applicable
Options

This is not really a solution. Dex requires USB cables and effort to launch and load apps.

0 Likes
Samsung_BbvXXRb
Constellation
Options

Samsung has their own app for Android and Windows called Samsung Flow. From what I remember text messaging on your computer was one of the features.

aplocher
Asteroid
Options

Thank you both.

@Charkatak this is an interesting product that I have not heard of.  I haven't yet tried it, but it seems like it requires everything to happen through a USB connection.  It's interesting and would help me when I need to type larger text messages, but the great thing about Google Messages (Web) is that I don't need my phone around to use it.  

My primary goal here is to NOT require my phone to be immediately available in order to view/type/manage a message.  Secondary goal is to make it easier to type, by using my PC keyboard (which your solution solves through a USB connected device).

@Samsung_BbvXXRb Thank you for your answer, I've installed Flow, but I believe it only allows me to reply to system NOTIFICATIONS.  I can't browse SMS messages or even initiate a conversation.  I can only respond to an incoming notification.  It's an interesting product, but it's lacking a lot of features to make it useful.

Thank you both again for the answers, but unfortunately neither of these solutions are ideal.  I'm shocked Samsung still doesn't have a way to manage SMS message from Samsung Messages on a PC through a network/internet connection.  I'm disappointed I had to switch back to Samsung Messages in order to use SMS on my Gear Watch.

Solution
Charkatak
Honored Contributor
Options

@aplocher In this case, you can use Microsoft's Your Phone app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.appmanager

aplocher
Asteroid
Options

Thank you this is perfect.  I've seen this in Windows and just never considered using it.  It seems to work well (in the 30 seconds I've spent messing with it right now lol).

Can view messages and send/reply.

Can view photos

Can view notifications

No USB required and it works with Samsung Messages.

Thank you!

userbICVJJJdAY
Constellation
Options

If you use a Windows computer - The Microsoft Your Phone app is exactly what you are looking for. On a mac - I use parallels desktop to run the app in a virtual machine. 

usernvUlFo0XoH
Constellation
Options

I'd say this is only a partial solution. I've been using MS Your Phone Companion and I'm pretty happy with it once it finally pairs with my W10 machines at home. It's not much use on my W10 work machine (always sightly behind main consumer ring for updates), Chromebooks, Mac's and my android tablet that would all work fine with Google's superior messaging implementation.

aplocher
Asteroid
Options

Agreed, after using the Windows thing a little more, I still kinda miss the web interface.  Mainly due to my work computer, I don't want to have to pair my phone to it (in fact I think we have a group-policy in place that prevents me from being able to do that).  At home the Windows app is pretty decent, but it seems like it'll stop working at times.  There are times when I'm sitting at my PC and I get a text message but Windows doesn't tell me.