Original topic:

Samsung Notes... SMH!

(Topic created: 07-02-2021 06:28 AM)
FJane
Astronaut
Options
Samsung Apps and Services
Since the last update the Notes app is now displaying note titles BELOW the note instead of above the note like it's always been. And on top of that, the title is no longer displayed within the frame of the note preview. It's now totally disconnected, so it appears the title is just floating between two notes with no visible connection to either. I have no clue why on Earth anyone thought it'd be a good idea but it is incredibly jarring on the eyes and makes everything look so unorganized and cluttered. I'd replace whatever team members proposed this ignorant idea and tried to pass it as 'innovative.'

Samsung, PLEASE fix the issue by reverting the titles to the way they were displayed before the update, ABOVE and ATTACHED to the notes, and PLEASE stop trying to update the Notes app. We loved it because it was simple and neat, straight forward. But the last year has completely changed and ruined the app for me. Ever since the first major update that changed the design of the layout towards the end of last year, it removed every note from it's respective category (now those folders are just empty) and the update also divided each of my old notes (displayed with infinite scroll, for specific reasons) into split pages. And there is STILL no way to convert ALL of my notes back to infinite scroll at once without changing each note separately, one by one. And I have hundreds... Smh.
I guess I'll be switching to a new app until this is fixed. Hopefully it is.

EDIT: Oh my goodness, smh. Just also noticed that the body of text (on the note preview screen) is now displayed in BOLD, exactly like the title. It used to only be the titles displayed in BOLD to help you search and locate each note, with the text body being smaller and less noticable. Now I can't even tell the difference between the note titles and the note body on the preview page. It just all looks like one ridiculously long title. I am so frustrated with this update, I've never felt disappointed in an app before. Wish I never invested so much time and work into structuring my writing with this app.

Please get it together Samsung.
5 Replies
Artistkemmerer
Cosmic Ray
Options
I personally enjoy all the bells and whistles added over the course of these big updates but I think this last update, shifting titles, are indeed a mess.

Hopefully this format will be changed. I'm also noticing that previews are shifting prior to and after opening notes which isn't a big deal but it does trigger an OCD of mine.

Have you had any issues with Microsoft syncing? I have yet to successfully be able to retrieve my notes on the Microsoft side.
0 Likes
FJane
Astronaut
Options
I enjoy some of the updates, it's just hard to appreciate them when they always seem to come with a trade off. And it's usually a feature that I'm more fond of that gets removed or replaced.

No issues with syncing though, I installed a version of Samsung Notes on my laptop, one that doesn't update. I just synced my notes a little while ago (to my laptop) and they were all displayed the way I prefer on there.
ljb1
Astronaut
Options
Totally agree Fjane! Notes app is now HORRIBLE ! It was one of my favorite apps. I have no idea why they would change something that was working fine!!
Zunar
Astronaut
Options
I hate the new look. I'm visually impaired and HEAVILY rely on the notes app. Now, I'm struggling to use it. Give me the old version back.

(Edit) God, it is atrocious. The more I try to use it, the more I hate it. Everyone, get this to be the most viewed post so Samsung sees it.

Why don't we have the option to revert to an older version. Like seriously, why not give us that ability?

Does anyone know of a way to go back to the older version?

(Edit 2.0) I figured out a way to get the old version back. Version 4.2.06.11 came right before this latest update.

I think I just got luck actually. I had a Note9 on to which I had synced my Samsung notes via Samsung cloud. The Note9 hadn't goten the update do to "auto update" being disabled.

(NOTE:)
I figure you can sync your notes with another device, even if it is running the latest version of Samsung Notes, as once you revert your main device back to the factory installed version of Samsung Notes, the resyncing process should automatically convert the appearance of the notes from the new look back to the old look.

To sync your notes across two devices, just open up the Samsung Notes app and click the three menue button on the top left hand corner. Click the settings wheel on the top right hand corner of the menu screen the opens. The first option should say "Sync With Samsung Account". Type in your credentials to enable it. Do this same step on the other device.

(Step 1)
I went to the play store and typed in "Samsung Notes." I found the app and it gave me two options "open" or "uninstall."

(Spep 2)
I Uninstalled it and it took me back to the first version that came installed on my phone.

(Step 3)
I opened the app and went through the quick tutorial. DO NOT UPDATE THE APP IF PROMPTED

(Step 4)
Since I had another device synced with my Samsung account, I logged into my Samsung account, using the same Step from earlier, to synce Samsung Notes using my Samsung account.

(Step 5)
After that, I went on the internet and searched for "uptodown Samsung notes". That took me to a page with every listed version of Samsung notes. I clicked on version 4.2.06.11 and it took me to a download link. I downloaded it.

(Step 6)
I opened the "My Files" app and it was the newest thing installed. Click on it and a window pops up asking if you want to download. Click "download/install" and done.

(NOTE:)
The download link and install process is only necessary if you want the second to latest update. If you are okay with the slightly older version, then you do not need to download anything

(Step 7)
Go to the "Samsung Store" app or Google play store and typed in Samsung notes. Click on the app. On the top right hand corner, you'll see three dots to open up a menu. Click on it and you'll see an option to enable or disable auto update. Disable it.
0 Likes
SHazel
Astronaut
Options
Note title below the note is H😖RRIBLE!!!