cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samsung Care Ambassador

Samsung messages App

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello again, 

I suspect that this question has been asked and answered but I can't find it. 

Samsung messages will not send pictures as attachments. 

Bixby voice is only compatible with the Samsung messages App. Normally I use ChompSMS and recently installed Android Messages to see if it has any issues with sending pictures as attachments. Both of these apps send pictures without any issues. 

A couple of times I figured out how to get to work by accident. Can't remember how but it seemed  to have something to do with WiFi calling settings. 

Right now I have wifi calling set to wifi preferred. Normally I have that set to cellular preferred or just turn it off completely. 

I'm trying to get Samsung messages to send pictures I don't care if its over wifi or cellular I just want to be able to use it because it's compatible with  Bixby voice.   I hope some of this sense. Thanks,

CLF 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Comet

Re: Samsung messages App

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yep Smiley Happy

I love Samsung+ Messages. The only problem I have is my family sending me too many pictures and stuff, but that's a personal problem. I have a lot of data and the Wi-Fi works, it's just getting messages at inconvenient times and like 3 batches all at once... "Yes, Becky, I know it's your chihuahua. Yes, your chihuahua is cute. did you have to send me 7 pictures of him wearing a hat?" I recently sent pictures of a cake that I had made to my family.

Have you made sure to disable your other messaging apps? If they aren't disabled they might be making some sort of conflict preventing pictures from being sent. Did you make sure your carrier specific messaging app is off and disabled? 

Also, try testing your phone in Safe Mode to see if you can send messages then. It could be some other app interfering and Safe Mode can help rule out some apps that could be problematic. 

✨KLHN1986 REGULAR CONTRIBUTOR (ELITE)✨
☆ If you like my answers, I would love stars☆

The rank of contributor is a rank assigned
to community members that have been recognized for
sharing high quality answers and material to the Samsung+ Community.
Contributors do not formally represent Samsung

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi there @CLF

So you got Bixby to send a picture? Cool!

I use Samsung Messages because I dislike most other services and I detest Verizon Messages. 

Have you gone into the data settings in your phone to make sure you don't have a data saver feature turned on which is preventing messages from being sent over cellular? Also, be sure to check the Samsung Messages settings and permissions. 

Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Drat... I couldn't edit my post to make a little more sense.

I was asking not just about messages but about messages with media, such as pictures or video, that might not send over wifi with certain settings.

My Samsung Messages will oftne pop up a notification that will say "down loading attachment" or it will send it as a MMS message. The messages don't send or down load if I have data saving or mobile network data turned off. 

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey how's it going? 

First thanks for the info. 

I never use data saver and cellular data is always on. 

The only reason I have wif calling on and set to wifi preferred is just a test to try and figure out the right combination so Samsung messages can send an image. It sends text no matter what the settings are. 

I should have left it alone when I had it working lol. 

It shouldn't be this difficult to get it to send images. Now it's like a puzzle that has to be solved. Also in the back of mind I see T-mobile lurking around. 

Is yours is working without any issues? 

Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yep Smiley Happy

I love Samsung+ Messages. The only problem I have is my family sending me too many pictures and stuff, but that's a personal problem. I have a lot of data and the Wi-Fi works, it's just getting messages at inconvenient times and like 3 batches all at once... "Yes, Becky, I know it's your chihuahua. Yes, your chihuahua is cute. did you have to send me 7 pictures of him wearing a hat?" I recently sent pictures of a cake that I had made to my family.

Have you made sure to disable your other messaging apps? If they aren't disabled they might be making some sort of conflict preventing pictures from being sent. Did you make sure your carrier specific messaging app is off and disabled? 

Also, try testing your phone in Safe Mode to see if you can send messages then. It could be some other app interfering and Safe Mode can help rule out some apps that could be problematic. 

View solution in original post

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey. 

First a comment regarding your personal texting style. LOL LOL LOL. Seven pictures with a hat

I'm ok now. I hadn't thought of disableing chomp and Android messages. I am going to try that it couldn't hurt.

Chomp has an interesting item in its settings regarding sending mms over Wi-Fi. Turn this on or off. Underneath It has a setting called T-mobile Wi-Fi fix. When activated it temporarily turns Wi-Fi off forcing mms messages to use T-mobile Wi-Fi calling network. I tried it and watched a spiner for over a min. Oh well. 

I appreciate your thoughts and comments I'm going to disable the other 2 apps.   See you later 

userd7L1WN1e6N
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@Clf wrote:

Hey. 

First a comment regarding your personal texting style. LOL LOL LOL. Seven pictures with a hat

I'm ok now. I hadn't thought of disableing chomp and Android messages. I am going to try that it couldn't hurt.

Chomp has an interesting item in its settings regarding sending mms over Wi-Fi. Turn this on or off. Underneath It has a setting called T-mobile Wi-Fi fix. When activated it temporarily turns Wi-Fi off forcing mms messages to use T-mobile Wi-Fi calling network. I tried it and watched a spiner for over a min. Oh well. 

I appreciate your thoughts and comments I'm going to disable the other 2 apps.   See you later 

Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, 

I thought I should let you know how things worked out. 

This morning an update for Bixby voice interactions with system. Settings.

Also T-mobile system update for security. 

So after the restart I'm in Bixby full screen mode looking through commands. I tapped one for text messaging and it opens up Samsung messages. Set it as the default, sent a mms and the image file attached went through like there was never a problem. The settings are the same as they were yesterday for Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi calling. 

So I didn't fix it it just started working. A mystery to be sure. 

Thank you again for your help with this I really appreciate it. CLF 

userNYBZ2Hzmyh
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

how do i  dwonload the app i need to text my mom about what were haveing for dinner

Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey,

I am not sure what your asking. I'm going to assume you are asking about Chomp SMS. If so that's on the Google Play Store. Updates for the default Samsung messages app are on the galaxy apps store.

I should mention that I spoke with TMobile support and we sent image files  to each other with out any problems. It turns out that I can use Samsung messages to send image file attachments to anyone but myself. It has something to do with sending images over the Wi-Fi calling network. Chomp on the other hand uses cellular and I can send myself pictures without any problem. I really only use chomp because it is so customizable and it does work well.