Original topic:

Security removes selected permissions from unused apps?

(Topic created: 05-30-2022 10:30 PM)
Gryphon007
Astronaut
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

How does turning on (or not turning off) the security activity {permission access changed from allow to deny} make my apps and device  more secure? Ex: calendar access turned off for the AT&T Mobile Transfer app. 

I do not know the ramifications of deny of calendar access is, I was notified that the app contained permissions that could not be changed. A second secured app had 6 unnamed access permissions changed. You must find the app and check what is listed as denied.

I do not use some apps often, I find that I am often asked to allow access to storage or hardware or ... as if weighing the benefits of a wrong allow or deny or allow a current deny status will compromise my device or LAN or WAN. Maybe a phishing email put this app in place just waiting for its allow CONTACTS ....

Lacking explanations for the need or why the allow was not included in the app to begin with or will the app notify about error or silently not work properly with a deny. 

How is one to know? If security is asking to restore an allow access to calendar, seems ok, but what was the security necessity to begin with.

When an app asks to allow or deny something has Samsung, Galaxy, Google, a LLC, Microsoft, ... left those questions to let the user give away, in an uninformed manner,  information = value = personal property, ...?

2 Replies
Options
I can try to define what you're saying, basically with new updates on devices, you can allow 1 time perms or just while using the app or never. You can also select in settings to remove permissions from Apps that haven't been used for awhile and also slate them for deep sleep. But in general all apps, for the most part, will request perms but not all of them need all the perms to function correctly, and not all need any. It's really up to you to look into the android app before you download and also look into how these apps function collectively with the system and other apps.So.. look into android and it's perms as well as what happens when you give out these permissions.
Gryphon007
Astronaut
Options
That sums it up. Why does mobile transfer stop all DENYs except DENY CALENDAR? Why does SMARTSWITCH not block DENY of 6 accesses?