Original topic:

Smart Switch indicates no backup to restore

(Topic created: 04-02-2024 11:41 AM)
Members_bD9ErgR
Asteroid
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

I saved two backups using smart switch, to an external hard drive because there wasn't enough disk space on my laptop. After I factory reset my phone (Samsung S21 FE), smart switch is now telling me "there are no items that can be restored". I found another post with a similar problem but the solution was they used the last folder in their backup and it worked. That didn't work for me. I tried a number of folders but the same result. I can't access my Google or Samsung cloud backups because the phones wi-fi doesn't work anymore (hence the reset to see if that worked). I included a screenshot below for reference.

backup 2.jpg

9 Replies
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options

if you successfully backed up your device to the external drive, it absolutely should be there. have you tried to plug the drive into your PC and access the contents of the drive from File Explorer?

notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options

that simply doesn't make any sense, unless the backup was corrupted somehow. recently, I had to do a transfer of a phone for my aunt (her A14 to my S22U). her phone was so full, Smart Switch couldn't even fit on her device. I did a restore of her device from her Google and Samsung accounts......everything came over. she doesn't store music, videos, photos on her phone, but all her apps and settings did make the trip. start there then, perhaps, you can access the Smart Switch backup and bring over everything that didn't restore from Google and Samsung.

0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options

Did you check the external drive to see if there is actually a backup file there? Once you find the file, direct smart switch to it.  

Do you not have a mobile plan?  Even if your phone's Wi-Fi isn't working, you should still be able to access your Samsung and Google accounts using mobile data.   I'm guessing the reset did not solve the wi-fi problem.  

If you reset the phone and it's "clean", you should still be able to log into your Google and Samsung accounts, go into the settings to accounts and backup and hit restore data, and if there is anything to restore in the cloud, it will. 

0 Likes
Members_bD9ErgR
Asteroid
Options

Yes, I should have been more specific that I created the backup through smart switch on my laptop. The external drive has two separate backups that I can see through file explorer but when I click on either folder in smart switch for the backup I get the result from the screen shot in my original post. The folders have 47GB of data according to the folder properties, but they are empty when I click in them.

You are correct the wifi problem persists after reset, and I have not backed up using cell service yet, because that will not restore everything. I did not have enough storage in Google or Samsung Cloud for a full backup. 

I directed smart switch to a few of the different folders that looked like system folders but received the same result.

0 Likes
realaud
Supernova
Options

Well, I'm sorry that the reset didn't, at the very least, solve the wi-fi problem which probably means a damaged wi-fi antenna.  Can you access the diagnostics to check the wi-fi on the phone?

If you can't get your backups back, perhaps it's time to bite the bullet and go for a newer phone, since a repair is likely to cost some money.  You could take it to a repair place for an estimate and see which option is more feasible for you. You might be eligible for a carrier upgrade on the S21. A new phone or repaired wi-fi will at least enable you to get some of your stuff back.  I don't think it's worth the effort of installing everything from scratch if you might have to ditch the phone anyway. 

You might also want to consider clearing out some of your cloud accounts to free up space, so this doesn't happen again, whatever you decide to do.

Is it possible you have to install smart switch on the external drive and then use it to restore from that side?  Just guessing here, because I have never backed up to an external device.

0 Likes
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options

you don't install Smart Switch to the SSD/external drive. I perform a Smart Switch backup to my SSD every month for my phone, my bride's and my aunt's.

0 Likes
Members_bD9ErgR
Asteroid
Options

What folder or file do you select from the smart switch restore option? I can see the files on the external hard drive but smart switch doesn't seem to recognize any of them.

0 Likes
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
when you open SS, you'll see an icon of an SD card top right of the screen. tap that and it'll take you to the backup and restore options for that particular drive. obviously, I'm assuming you have your phone plugged into the external drive.
0 Likes
Members_bD9ErgR
Asteroid
Options

I performed the backup through smart switch on my laptop. I did not plug the external drive directly into the phone. I will try that but will need to pick up a connector first.