JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Blue dot text message by contact

(Topic created: 12-23-2019 08:02 PM)
userXtsgcad5Ta
Constellation
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

Does anybody know what the blue dot Is on the icon next to the person's name in the text message app? Only shows there. Only on select contacts.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
CLF
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options

Hey, 

@userXtsgcad5Ta

The Samsung messages app is RCS compatible or capable. Your carrier is also running a RCS network infrastructure.

The messages app scans your contacts and connects to your your carrier database and determines how many of your contacts are using RCS capable phones and their RCS network infrastructure. It marks the contacts with a blue dot if they have met the requirements for sending and receiving messages in chat mode.

You should be able to send and receive multiple large image files at full resolution. Also uncompressed video files and your text messages character count limit should go much higher. When you send mms and text messages to contacts without the blue marker the messages app will send and receive mms and text messages using the standard messaging format.

Best regards, 

CLF

Edit Oct 5th, 2020 

My carrier T-mobile in partnership with Google has implemented RCS Universal Profile. This opens up a lot of new contacts for chat messages with friends who are using Googles jibe network. The original goal was to have Interoperability between all the carriers using Googles jibe network infrastructure. Some carriers signed on right away while others created their own proprietary chat networks. I was originally only able to chat with contacts using the T-mobile chat network but today that has all changed for the better. We still need a few more of the major carriers to join in so we can all use chat messaging regardless of which carrier we're with.

CLF 

View solution in context

107 Replies
M3LV1N
Cosmic Ray
Options

It's for ppl that have Samsung Galaxy phones and or are with the same company u have.. it let's u text n reply n both u can see when the other is writing or seen the text. And it helps send pix and video to each other quicker. But it's really just letn u no they have Samsung Galaxy phones

userxgqgVQCuHp
Astronaut
Options

But my friend does not have a samsung he has lg.?

userXD7kyeg9gm
Constellation
Options

Sorry incorrect,  my child and I have the same phones on the same network and her name does not have a blue dot next to her name. 

Shyenn
Constellation
Options

That's not quite true, there is only one contact on my phone with the dot. My husband and I have the same exact phone, same company and talk on video sometimes but there isn't a dot by his name. I have a few contacts with the same company, with androids, with Samsung and none of them have the dot. This truly is something that needs to be answered by Samsung. 

Chuck620
Astronaut
Options

It doesn't mean that they have Samsung phones. It just means that there phone is RCS compatable. 

uservyv7jsqo2l
Astronaut
Options

It doesn't mean that they have the same company I do.  There are contacts on my list that I know do not use US cellular, which is the company that I use. 

0 Likes
datninjaWild
Constellation
Options

You said same company...if you could elaborate...

0 Likes
Samsung_TDtbuaT
Astronaut
Options

What he means, is that the blue. Is next to contacts that do not have the same carrier nor the same phone as myself. I have a blue dot on two contacts one has an iPhone and I have an Android. I have a blue dot next to a contact with Verizon while I have T-Mobile. So what does the blue. Mean can Samsung answer that for us?

Dj_Damjano
Nebula
Options

Same company means same carrier/ service provider.