cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

UN55NU6950 apps cause noise on optical audio

All of the apps except for YouTube cause loud noise through optical audio connection. Specifically, Netflix, Prime Video, and Disney+ cause the same excruciating noise through the optical audio connection. I’ve tried resetting the Smart Hub, setting the optical audio to PCM, and removing the power cord temporarily but nothing helps. Appreciate whatever help you can offer! The TV speakers work fine for all apps.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: UN55NU6950 apps cause noise on optical audio

Have you tried replacing the optical audio cable?

Highlighted
Constellation

I don't have another cable but I can get one. If the TV & YouTube work on the current cable, is it still possible that the other apps would not because of that cable?

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

It is, especially since the issue is not persistent on the television speakers.

All apps and TV sources use some variation of audio sources that get sent to the soundbar. If it's not occurring with YouTube but it does with other apps, I would consider YouTube the outlier.

Cables, especially optical cables can have deterioration without it being apparent on the outside.

Highlighted
Constellation

I am not using a soundbar. I'm using a Amanka Digital to Analog (RCA) converter. I'm having a hard time understanding how the normal TV sound and YouTube app sound work across the same cable whereas the other apps don't. Please understand that I'm not being confrontational ... just applying some simple logic. Maybe this isn't that simple?!

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

When it comes to converters, it's a toss up. Switching from digital to analog alone can create this distortion. Some audio formats will be more prone to distortion than others.

Highlighted
Constellation

I’ve tried everything I can think of to try but no improvement. I don’t know if a soundbar would make a difference but I was trying to take advantage of our existing Sony receiver sound system. A soundbar is more money than I want to spend so I’m apparently stuck with what I’ve got. I’ll have to unpower the converter and use the TV speakers to view the apps. Bummer!!!