Original topic:

WARNING:Cloud Storage for Photos Ending Transfer/Download to MS One Drive

(Topic created: 08-17-2021 08:18 PM)
userWL24JwrWDs
Asteroid
Options
Samsung Apps and Services
I'm very dissatisfied with how Samsung is handling the transition and closure of backing up photos to the cloud. I didn't find out until I downloaded over 7,000 pictures that when you do that, the date and time the photo was taken is changed to the date you download the file. Since I opt not to enable location and date info on my camera for privacy reasons, I have now lost most of the historical context for my photos. This has also made a nightmare of how my photos sort on my phone, in the gallery and when I want to attach a photo to a text message. The transition from Samsung Cloud to Microsoft One Drive was time consuming and awkward. But most importantly I never expected to lose the original dates of my photos!! I now have to spend HOURS figuring out a way to organize and manage over 7,000 photos! There should have been some warning about this previous to the download process. Clearer instructions and email notifications without users having to dig through self-help links or find out after the process!! I have contacted support and chatted with help and there is NO WAY TO FIX THIS ONCE IT IS DONE!
6 Replies
Phoneking13
Constellation
Options
You should also back your photos (if you're not already) to Google Photos. I believe it also puts them in the order as you take them.
0 Likes
Bytch69
Astronaut
Options
Ty for sharing deffo. Noted
0 Likes
LongHiker
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options

@userWL24JwrWDs Since relying on the file timestamp in the operating system can always be troublesome for photos and can cause issues as you describe, photos have EXIF (meta) data stored inside the photo file itself.

I recommend that you look at file photo renaming tools that can use this EXIF (meta) data stored inside the photo files to rename the file. Using one of these tools you can quickly batch rename a lot of files. Then you can use the file name to quickly identify the proper place in history for your files. 

0 Likes
userWL24JwrWDs
Asteroid
Options
Thank you for your response. However, I'm pretty sure it is the meta data that has been changed already during the download process. When I look at the picture file details the date has changed (see screenshots). So unless I knew prior to downloading this would happen, I wouldn't think to use an EXIF renaming tool. And now that it's done it is going to take hours to try an undo this mess. I appreciate your input, however this is too little, too late. 20210818_085330_21310.jpg20210818_085246.jpg20210818_085207.jpg
0 Likes
LongHiker
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options

@userWL24JwrWDs 

"Thank you for your response. However, I'm pretty sure it is the meta data that has been changed already during the download process."

I'm pretty sure that is the file creation date, not the meta data. Download an EXIF tool and check the meta data.

0 Likes
usernQ969s3wsz
Constellation
Options
I've lost hundreds of photos over the last couple months, I assume there is no way to get them back.
0 Likes