Original topic:

Why OneUI hasn't beat iOS yet.

(Topic created: 07-30-2022 12:11 AM)
Lanos
Cosmic Ray
Options
Samsung Apps and Services
Noticed that Android doesn’t have the same gestures as iPad OS. 

I Wish that it did and in particular the ability to push my mouse to the edge to act as a swipe left Or to push mouse to bottom center to go home. 

Also, unsure if it’s a copyright thing but a slide over app feature on Android in Tablet mode and even in Dex Mode would be super useful. Lastly, All Files apps in Android are sorely way behind iOS in terms of drag and drop from the files app to any 3rd party app. Or desktop. 

These are key features that make Android less competitive to iOS because the gestures on iOS are way more intuitive and closer to a desktop experience. Even if you never added pro apps or iMessage to Android…these key gestures and drag and drop functions are a huge competitive advantage for iOS. 

My TabS8+ has Dex mode which I use but due to poor drag and drop support in the entire OS and all apps on android desktop mode means nothing. In OneUI and Androids current development - Dex mode would have better use on iPadOS simply because of drag and drop and the keyboard and mouse gesture support. 

If anyone should design the pro apps for android it should be Google or Samsung. A Google or Samsung designed audio, video and photo editor made for tablets would be talked about…everywhere. 

LumaFusion is going to be good but what about audio editors? Cubasis and FL studio are the best ones and they aren’t made for Dex Mode or any tablet…they don’t support that drag and drop needed to make them useful in a Dex Mode environment. 

Lastly, if google or Samsung just took the entire ux/ui of Google Drive web app and made it a tablet files app on android…the entire android ecosystem would win Currently the best files app for android is Solid Explorer but it lacks a tablet ux/ui to could compete with a local non cloud based version of google drive for Android. 

The current google files app is way too optimized for phones…and because it doesn’t let you see things at a folder level the entire experience is damaged.
7 Replies
Yamialex224
Black Hole
Options
Android is the OS like ios one ui is a skin put on android
Lanos
Cosmic Ray
Options

I realize that. OneUI has a huge competitive advantage over other android products if they can add these key functions.

I wish I was an xda developer, I'd create these solutions myself.

As someone who's only ever used iOS devices and even sent complaints and suggestions to them - I know first hand from my research into even the iOS influencer community how these features can be a huge competitive advantage.

DEX mode is objectively better than Stage Manager on iOS but these few key points I mentioned are hurting the user experience and huge draw that Tab S8 could have.

I wish I was on their product team lol

0 Likes
JREwing
Asteroid
Options

I get so frustrated by the lack of drag and drop in Dex mode. Defeats most of the purpose for Dex with me. I might as well just use a laptop.

Lanos
Cosmic Ray
Options

Yes, I agree with you. Even if they just aded that one thing it would drastically change the experience.

Desktop mode is about more than floating windows, right?

It's about drag and drop, it's about no limitations to the browser experience, it's about having multi instances of applications too.

Lastly, its important to map mouse gestures since we dont intend to swipe much in desktop mode. Hot corners and clicks are cool but what about the edges and being able to push to the edge with your mouse to create activity?

I'm confident Samsung is going to continue to deliver on Dex Mode, they HAVE to if they intend to stay competitive in the tablet market.

Users by and large are looking to tablets as their main devices more and more and the 2-in-1 market just isnt doing that great.

Given the roadblock that ARM is facing with App developers if Samsung were to take the lead and develop a rosetta level translator and allow people to install x86 applications onto arm exclusively through the Samsung store....that would LITERALLY change everything.

That alone would be more valuable than anything written above with the exception of drag and drop being ubiquitous. Drag and Drop is essential throughout the entire OS.

0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options

Google Workspace drag and drop

https://www.maketecheasier.com/google-adds-drag-and-drop-to-workspace-android/

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
Lanos
Cosmic Ray
Options
This is awesome thank you. Now we just need this across the whole OS but at least adding their files app to,this 12L update. Otherwise I have to upload everything to drive first lol
0 Likes
bill-e
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options

Check out my reply here. 

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Tablets/Android12L-update-with-google-workspace-drag-and-drop/m-...

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy S21 Ultra 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch3(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes