email to gMail fails -- gMail rejects email without MessageID

(Topic created: 08-16-2022 05:03 PM)
userfDInoqin1w
Constellation
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

Using the most recent update of Samsung's native email, on my A11 phone,

eMails originating from the phone [sent using my personal domain via STMP]

do not include a MessageID in the header field.    I assume this has always been the case.  eMail sent from other devices [laptop/thunderbird] do include that MessageID

Unfortunately ... gMail now rejects emails without that header field:

550 , 550-5.7.1 [173.201.193.231] Messages missing a valid messageId header are not
550 5.7.1 accepted.

This appears to be recent.  Another user posted a similar message on the S22 message board, here, but the solution suggested (contact gmail user help) is useless, as I am not a gmail user.   I am merely writing to gMail users from my Samsung phone.

The normal solution is to figure out why Samsung eMail doesn't craft a MessageID, and to implore that Samsung corrects it.   Your email program renders the software useless.

HELP URGENTLY REQUESTED.

6 Replies
userZRM2jJtyRx
Astronaut
Options

I am having the same problem with a Note 20 and the most recent update to the email app still has the same issue.  I am seeing in the message headers for the sent message that it does put a messageID appended with email.android.com.  If I load the outlook client and configure with the same imap settings for my hosted email server, it sends email to the same gmail.com address without rejection.  Outlook is appending hxcore.ol to the end of the messageID string when it sends the message to the server.  

So I take it that either the messageID field generated by the Samsung app has some issue or that the email.android.com is on a naughty list somewhere?

Really wish Samsung would address this problem.  It is not happening when sending to every gmail address...only some of them which in itself is inconsistent.  However, if I try to send an email to my friend who uses a gmail email address with the Samsung email app, it gets rejected every time.  Sending to other gmail accounts it is not rejected by gmail.

0 Likes
PIR
Astronaut
Options
Same here just started s week ago after phone system. Update. Samsung please fix
0 Likes
LenPel
Constellation
Options

Hi there, had the excat same problem/error from gmail when sending mails via my own server with the Samsung app and came across your post.

What fixed it for me was adding DKIM and SPF entrys (and DMARC, however I think it will work without it) as DNS entrys in my domain providers DNS settings.  Before having this problem I had never heard of these before since I'm new and unexperienced in mail server stuff

Hope this also fixes it for you.

0 Likes
Members_2ivchmr
Constellation
Options

I am having the same issue. Where do I add the DKIM and SPF entrys? And what do I enter? 

0 Likes
LenPel
Constellation
Options

Do you have an own mail server (dovecote and postfix for example)? There is no standard way since it all depends on your configuration and domain provider, but the basic steps are listet here:

DKIM Setup Guide: How to Configure DKIM Step by Step (agari.com)

(note that these all are just examples, it depends on you configurations and domain provider on how to do these steps, look up tutorials on how to do it with your configs!)

If it's not your own mail server then you can not set DKIM and SPF.

0 Likes
REDCOM
Astronaut
Options

I had the same problem sending via email app on Samsung A12 phone. I wanted to have seperate email apps one for business email and the other was gmail app for personal.

As email app stopped sending to gmail accounts, I setup my business email in the gmail app.

Only problem is that you have to switch accounts to see each accounts emails. But found that with the use of the Gmail widget you can put a seperate icon on home screen for each gmail account. Now giving email app the flick.

Hope that helps.

0 Likes