JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Connect home as a bridge only on an existing wi-fi network

(Topic created: 04-28-2018 05:03 PM)
userwCl9Xp6frb
Constellation
Options
Smart Home Support

I just purchased two Connect home hubs and I wanted to use them as AP's/range extenders on my existing wi-fi network.  I assumed from reading up on this that it would be possible but I can't seem to get it to work.  I have setup each unti in bridge mode while connected to my existing router and they both show up in the Smart things app but as disabled.  Both units have a solid green light on the front.

What am I doing wrong?  Is it possible to use these as I want or do I have to replace my current AC router with one and then the other one would function as I desire?

Ther model # is ET-WV520

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
smithmal
Astronaut
Options
Smart Home Support

I spoke to Samsung about this.  They indicated this is possible by putting the hub into bridge mode.  In my case, one of my hubs is connected to my main network using an ethernet connection (i.e. it's considered a "wired bridge").  The other hub is wirelessly connected as usual (via mesh connection).  I'm not sure if you can bridge the Home Connect hubs to an existing network using a wireless bridge solution. 

Here's what you need to do:

A. First set up your main hub as a wired bridge hub

1. Hook one of the hubs to your main router using a ethernet cable and turn it on

2. Reset the hub by pushing in the small reset button on the back for 30 seconds.  LED should start blinking green.  Wait a couple of minutes for the LED to start blinking red and blue

3. Open Smart Things App

4. It should pickup that you have a new hub available and ask you to connect it

5. Set up hub to use the identical network credientials as your main wireless network (use same network name and password)

6. Once the network is setup go back into the Smart Things app click on the 3 dots in the top right corner and select "Network Settings"

7.  Under advanced change "Network Mode" to "Bridge"

You should be go to go.  You may need to go into your main router settings and give the bridged hub a static IP address so it never changes.  

From there unplug your hub and place it where you want and see if your wireless devices and that your have a strong signal.   

The rep did indicate eventhough you are creating a new network in the Samsung hub, because you are using the same network name and password your wireless devices should use it automatically as you more from one location to another in your house.

B.  Setup your second hub as a wireless mesh connection

1. Connect your second hub to your bridged hub using an ethernet cable and turn it on

2. Hold down the reset for 30 seconds as before and wait until you see the LED flashing red and blue

3. Go into the Smart Things app and it should recognize that another hub is visible and ask how to add it (you'll want to add it to the existing network).

4. Once added place the second hub within 30m of the first and turn it back on.

5. It should connect with your wired bridged hub and extend your network

From there use a wireless device to see if you can connect to the meshed hub you just added. 

My only issue is that there's not a way to change the WiFi channel on the Samsung Home Connect.  It would be preferred to have all your APs on a different channel so there's no cross talk as you connect from one AP to another.  Updating access point channels is a very basic wireless function.  Unfortunately the GUI on the SmartThings app doesn't have this as a selectable option.

View solution in context

8 Replies
SamsungJustin
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Smart Home Support

Hello, We have a specialized team for this product line. I would recommend speaking with this team directly by calling, 1-800-726-7864. 

userNeCGIzDCvq
Astronaut
Options
Smart Home Support

What is the answer to this solution...?
My 2 hubs randomly disconnected and I cannot get them to connect

0 Likes
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Smart Home Support

Please reach out to our specialized team directly at 800-726-7864.  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Solution
smithmal
Astronaut
Options
Smart Home Support

I spoke to Samsung about this.  They indicated this is possible by putting the hub into bridge mode.  In my case, one of my hubs is connected to my main network using an ethernet connection (i.e. it's considered a "wired bridge").  The other hub is wirelessly connected as usual (via mesh connection).  I'm not sure if you can bridge the Home Connect hubs to an existing network using a wireless bridge solution. 

Here's what you need to do:

A. First set up your main hub as a wired bridge hub

1. Hook one of the hubs to your main router using a ethernet cable and turn it on

2. Reset the hub by pushing in the small reset button on the back for 30 seconds.  LED should start blinking green.  Wait a couple of minutes for the LED to start blinking red and blue

3. Open Smart Things App

4. It should pickup that you have a new hub available and ask you to connect it

5. Set up hub to use the identical network credientials as your main wireless network (use same network name and password)

6. Once the network is setup go back into the Smart Things app click on the 3 dots in the top right corner and select "Network Settings"

7.  Under advanced change "Network Mode" to "Bridge"

You should be go to go.  You may need to go into your main router settings and give the bridged hub a static IP address so it never changes.  

From there unplug your hub and place it where you want and see if your wireless devices and that your have a strong signal.   

The rep did indicate eventhough you are creating a new network in the Samsung hub, because you are using the same network name and password your wireless devices should use it automatically as you more from one location to another in your house.

B.  Setup your second hub as a wireless mesh connection

1. Connect your second hub to your bridged hub using an ethernet cable and turn it on

2. Hold down the reset for 30 seconds as before and wait until you see the LED flashing red and blue

3. Go into the Smart Things app and it should recognize that another hub is visible and ask how to add it (you'll want to add it to the existing network).

4. Once added place the second hub within 30m of the first and turn it back on.

5. It should connect with your wired bridged hub and extend your network

From there use a wireless device to see if you can connect to the meshed hub you just added. 

My only issue is that there's not a way to change the WiFi channel on the Samsung Home Connect.  It would be preferred to have all your APs on a different channel so there's no cross talk as you connect from one AP to another.  Updating access point channels is a very basic wireless function.  Unfortunately the GUI on the SmartThings app doesn't have this as a selectable option.

useroaxhIe1LAD
Astronaut
Options
Smart Home Support

This should be marked as the solution. Thanks for your help - this was exactly what I was looking for!

0 Likes
user5rqKs796M3
Astronaut
Options
Smart Home Support

I've tried contacting your team to resolve my issue and everything I was told was contradictory to what I've seen here.  I have no confidence in this team as I am unable to get a firm answer.  The rep did not know and I had to push to say I was told call here for an answer.  Twice on hold and was given a wishy washy answer.  Definitely NOT impressed.

0 Likes
user9A6GfMzTjt
Astronaut
Options
Smart Home Support

you have to use one as a huib and one as a sattelite.. you cant just hook up a sattelite to your existing router

Samplay
Halo
Options
Smart Home Support
hello does anyone know how to make the connect home a second router. I have a netgear as primary and when I setup the connect home as secondary my speed is drastically reduced when using its wifi network. however if I connect the Samsung to the isp modem I get 10x the speed on the down. any advice? I switch to bridge and it did nothing.
0 Likes