JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Connecting Samsung soundbar (Q800T) to an Amazon Alexa speaker group

(Topic created: 01-24-2022 08:56 AM)
user9APSSBNqQN
Constellation
Options
Smart Home Support

Howdy. I have a Q800T. It is working on HDMI, and also working as an Alexa device. I can control it with my voice, and I can see it as a device in both the Samsung SmartThings and Amazon Alexa mobile apps.

I have a lot of Amazon Echo devices, and I use them as part of speaker groups to play multiroom audio (e.g. "Alexa, play Bob Dylan everywhere"). MY QUESTION: IS THERE A WAY FOR ME TO ADD THE Q800T TO AN ALEXA SPEAKER GROUP? It isn't showing up on a scan in HDMI, WiFi, or BT modes. Thanks!

39 Replies
JeffD7
Asteroid
Options
Smart Home Support

@Anonymous  - Hopefully Samsung engineers can figure this out.  Polk added this functionality in January 2019 to their sound bars, so it is possible. 

0 Likes
ybeMD
Astronaut
Options
Smart Home Support

Please?! This was expensive... and very disappointing

0 Likes
user9APSSBNqQN
Constellation
Options
Smart Home Support

or if it even can be added

It can be. It is just software.

0 Likes
userruIe7s4fD2
Constellation
Options
Smart Home Support

Voicing my concern on this same topic - hopefully Samsung notices how many people are having this issue and resolves it. Bought the Q90A 85" TV and it works fine for all Alexa features, just not allowing to add it in speaker group. Considering buying a soundbar but very hesitant because of this lack of functionality.

userN5rVY8sCPT
Astronaut
Options
Smart Home Support

Same problem on HW-S61A. Sound bar is advertised as supporting Alexa so should be able to add it as a speaker in Alexa. Ridiculous this is not supported and no substantive response on supporting it. Sound bar will be returned to Amazon as not meeting stated spec. 

0 Likes
PhilH
Astronaut
Options
Smart Home Support

Q70T here. Same issue. This really isn't okay, Samsung (@Anonymous  @MrLarry). If you claim the product can be integrated with Alexa, then make sure it can be. It's a speaker. No valid reason it shouldn't be able to be added to a speaker group.

usergEh8p75sKZ
Astronaut
Options
Smart Home Support

So wish I had read all this prior to buying my Q800A a month aga - c'mon, Samsung step up as you do a whole lot well as a TV

0 Likes
Rodrigo Fraga
Constellation
Options
Smart Home Support

How can a company like Samsung leave a problem like this unsolved for so long? One of the reasons I bought this soundbar was this integration, but it doesn't work!? What are Samsung waiting for to solve this problem!? This should be a simple thing to fix!

userHFSITF1qsS
Astronaut
Options
Smart Home Support

This is really frustrating. I bought a Q950A (now about 1 year later than the original post) and it still has the same issue. As "one of the top soundbars of the world". Please realize, that promoting a product as well by its "smart features" doesn't go along very well, when they are not working properly. This caused a lot of frustration for me yesterday when I was trying for hours all kinds of "fixes" to just to finally arrive at this post and be informed it is NOT POSSIBLE. That it is not possible at all is hard to grasp, when all your devices show up everywhere (Spotify, Alexa App) but still can not function together. My Teufel Holist jsut does. The good thing is (at least I hope) that this can be fixed via Software update instead of buying a new device. But PLEASE PUSH THIS FEATURE ON THE ROADMAP. 

userwh7FpS3J1m
Astronaut
Options
Smart Home Support

I have same issue with Q800A :(. Alexa support is very poor. Unsupported playing from Spotify via alexa combined with imposibility to add soundbar to speaker group makes it uselles. Built in alexa is actualy turned off (Has very low sensibility too in comparision with original echo devices) and soundbar is connected to another alexa via bluetooth. But It doesn't solve problem with multiroom (only with Spotify). I am realy thinking about change for Sonos or anything working good... Anyway the soundbar is great, compatible with my samsung tv etc... but it was chosen based on built in Alexa...