Original topic:

Connector info for old TV

(Topic created on: 2/2/21 5:30 PM)
userQWdkZgP7YU
Asteroid
Options
Smart Home Support
I have a Samsung UN55D8000 TV which is 10 years old but still works great. I'd like to take advantage of all the streaming content that comes over the internet - but because the TV is so old, I'm told need to get the content over the internet and run a wire or wires from laptop to the TV  in order to have it shown on my TV. Can you give me details on how to do this?
07:14 P
0 Likes
4 Replies
SHADOWGATE
Supernova
Options
Smart Home Support
do you have wifi and an hdmi port?
0 Likes
userQWdkZgP7YU
Asteroid
Options
Smart Home Support

HDMI but no Wifi.

SHADOWGATE
Supernova
Options
Smart Home Support
Dang you would be setup with some wifi cause you could grab a chromecast with google tv and it's basically the same thing as these $1400 tvs you see around. I cant afford a $1400 tv unless I planned on sleeping on the couch for the remainder of the year but I have a nice 2004 model plain Jane Sony tv that is decent and sturdy that I connected a $49 chromecast+remote to, and I have to say, having only spent $50 plus the wifi bill I've never been happier. I know it's a live within your means but it is a solution you should look into. In the meantime, plug the hdmi into your computer, laptop, or other device port and the other into the tv. Change the tv source to HDMI 1, 2, 3 depending on which port you've chosen to plug into, and you should see your laptops screen appear. This is an "older form" of screen mirroring. might take a little tinkering to get the aspect ratio (Size)correct but you'll figure it out. Now just think of your laptop as the Tower of a computer and the TV as the Display. there should be deeper options if you look around in your settings for allowing you to close your laptops display once your movie or show has started and it continue displaying on the tv. This is a great option for a "hardwired setup" that will easily bridge old with new. Hope that Helps
0 Likes
userQWdkZgP7YU
Asteroid
Options
Smart Home Support

Thanks.  Can you recommend a specific cable?  

0 Likes