JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How do you use Smart Things to control tv power on/off?

(Topic created: 01-16-2022 11:18 AM)
user9NW2tv5lPh
Cosmic Ray
Options
Smart Home Support

I just got a brand new 43" 4k Samsung tv for my bedroom. The 10 year old tv it replaced had not only the sleep timer but you could tell it to come on at a certain time each morning like an alarm clock. The tv came on at a certain volume and would wake me up each work day. But it looks like Samsung and just about every other tv manufacturer have removed that function from the sleep timer.

I understand it could be possible to set the same function through the Smart Things app but I can't figure out how to do it.

Also the sleep timer in general looks needlessly complicated. It's asking to set it for each day. I don't need that. When I get sleepy I just want to set it for 30 minutes from NOW. I should have to set it for each day. 

8 Replies
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Smart Home Support
No doubt it was removed because it's not a popular feature
0 Likes
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Smart Home Support
I assume that you're using SmartThings on a Samsung phone; which phone model, please?
0 Likes
user9NW2tv5lPh
Cosmic Ray
Options
Smart Home Support

Galaxy S21

0 Likes
usereQwjOeSoog
Astronaut
Options
Smart Home Support

I too just replaced a Panasonic 32 in Tv in our bedroom with a Samsung 43" smart tv. We liked the feature of being able to wake up with the TV instead of a alarm clock. Very disappointed that this TV and our 65" smart TV dose not have it. Is there a work around to set a alarm to turn the TV on.  I do believe the Sony TV still has the alarm still in it. Guess I should have bought it instead. 

DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Smart Home Support
So, the feature that you're using as an alarm clock was originally intended to allow users to record broadcast TV shows to their DVR while they were away. But, since no one really does that anymore, they removed that feature. You can, however, set a Bixby Routine on your Samsung phone to turn off your Samsung TV using the SmartThings app, but you can't set it turn it on. Guess you'll have to set a regular alarm, then reach for the remote. #FWP If this is the biggest problem you face in 2022, count yourself lucky, my friend.

The sleep timers on both my 32" and 63" Samsung TVs (both purchased in the last three years) are very simple 30, 60, 90, 120, and 180-minute timers.
0 Likes
Solution
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Smart Home Support
You can use the SmartThings app to turn on SOME Samsung TVs. I found I could with my 63" TV, but not my 32" TV.

Open the SmartThings app.
Tab to Automations tab at bottom.
Create a timed routine to turn on the TV.
If your TV is not listed (after the initial setup in the SmartThings app) as a device, then you cannot complete this function.Screenshot_20220116-163933_SmartThings_6002_1642379973.jpgScreenshot_20220116-164114_SmartThings_6003_1642380074.jpg
user9NW2tv5lPh
Cosmic Ray
Options
Smart Home Support

Thanks that was what I was looking for. But I guess being able to set the volume when the tv comes on varies by model because I don't have that option which kind of goes against why I wanted the function to begin with.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Smart Home Support

Good afternoon. The On Timet would be available under the System Settings menu, depending on which model TV you have, as shown in the image below. If you could provide the full model number for the television, I will be happy to check on this for you.

0 Likes