cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jemmer
Asteroid

How to replace a broken SmartThings bulb

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This past weekend one of my SmartThings bulbs, a Cree connected bulb, got broken.  Up until the incident, it worked flawlessly.  I have several automations that controlled the bulb, and I've been happy with how everything behaved.  I have a new replacement bulb, but I'm not sure what to do to replace it on my hub.

Can I simply delete the old device, add the new bulb, and rename it?  Will that keep the automations intact, or will I have to recreate them?

Thanks for any advice.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Comet

Re: How to replace a broken SmartThings bulb

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What you would be doing in a nutshell is:

Adding a bulb

Changing device ids so your automations point to your new bulb.

Deleting your old bulb that your automations no longer sees

The alternative is to delete your old bulb, breaking all automatons that involved that bulb, then pairing the new bulb and fixing your automatons to include your new bulb.

---My Signature---
If you're anticipating a follow up to one of my posts, please like my post or tag me. I don't generally go back to posts I have replied to unless I get pointed there.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Samsung Care Ambassador

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I would try to add the bulb to the same automations that way you had them both listed to come on and off then you should be able to remove the broken bulb leaving the new bulb listed and the automations intact 

Gary-B82-Ambassador-Signature2Note 10+ Verizon Wireless
Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No. Dont delete the old one. Add them both and...

(Copypasted)

You’ll have to do it at https://account.smartthings.com.

1. Go to devices and copy the ZigBee ID of your new device.
  2. In the SmartThings App delete your new device.
  3. Find your old device under devices at account.smartthings.com.
  4. Select your old device and click edit.
  5. Change the old ZigBee ID to the ID of your new device.
  6. Click save.
  7. Reset your new ZigBee device so it can again be paired.
  8. Start the pairing process in the App. You will not see a new device appear but the pairing should still occur in the background.

This will allow all of your automations to point to your new bulb.

---My Signature---
If you're anticipating a follow up to one of my posts, please like my post or tag me. I don't generally go back to posts I have replied to unless I get pointed there.
jemmer
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks.

With all due repect, and I mean that sincerely, but that seems like a bunch of work.   I confess I have had problems pairing and re-pairing various devices, so I'm a little leery of adding the new bulb, then deleting it, then reseting it, then re-pairing it.  I do think I understand what's going on though.  You are changing the ID of the old broken, non working bulb entry currently in the hub to that of the new bulb.  Then when the new bulb is re-added, the hub sees the (new)  ID already in use, so it just accomdates that.

And what about the old bulb?  After I do the procedure, I assume I can just toss the broken bulb, and place the new one in the old's receptacle and all automations just automagically work?

Comet

JUMP TO SOLUTION

What you would be doing in a nutshell is:

Adding a bulb

Changing device ids so your automations point to your new bulb.

Deleting your old bulb that your automations no longer sees

The alternative is to delete your old bulb, breaking all automatons that involved that bulb, then pairing the new bulb and fixing your automatons to include your new bulb.

---My Signature---

View solution in original post

Highlighted
jemmer
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Got it.  Thanks.