Original topic:

Jetbot Ai+ Battery

(Topic created: 01-04-2023 09:09 PM)
engmoto
Asteroid
Options
Smart Home Support

After a little over a year, the battery on my AI+ died. Of course, it’s out of warranty, and no batteries are available. Has anyone had a similar issue?
Smart Things shows the percentage at 51%, but when I attempt to use the vacuum, it dies before leaving the charging station. We have three AI+ vacuums in our home, so I swapped batteries, and the one with the problem works normally. I called tech support, and replacement batteries aren’t available.

I contacted the sources provided by customer service, and no one has a replacement available for the Jetbot AI+. Any help on getting a battery would be appreciated. The battery model is VCA-RBT95.

14 Replies
o_Divine_o
Explorer
Options
Smart Home Support
Can you take some pictures of the battery?
Is there any screws holding the plastic case holding the battery pack together?

There's some projects online using the same name, not sure if those packs are a replacement/mod or for something else.

If the pack can be disassembled with screws, you can build your own pack easily.
If it's plastic welded, can be done but really annoying.

Benefit to modifying your pack, can save money on batteries and make them easier to replace.

0 Likes
engmoto
Asteroid
Options
Smart Home Support

Here’s a couple photos of the battery. The cover is screw in detachable.

engmoto_0-1672970561469.jpegengmoto_1-1672970579329.jpegengmoto_2-1672970596703.jpegengmoto_3-1672970617903.jpegengmoto_4-1672970631887.jpeg

0 Likes
o_Divine_o
Explorer
Options
Smart Home Support
Well looks to take six 18650 batteries.
If there is any screws holding it together, they'd be under the silver label, but I doubt they'd make a pack that easy to open. Likely glued/welded shut across the seam.
Building a new pack is an option.
Harvest that packs guts and connections.

I could try to walk you through doing all that. You'd need some tools, soldering iron, solder, new batteries, heat shrink, and maybe a battery spot welder (depending on how bad the case gets damaged from opening and how the connection inside is done.)

That something you'd be comfortable doing?
0 Likes
userrxh7Udqqyb
Cosmic Ray
Options
Smart Home Support

FYI they are 21700 inside not 18650.  And the pack is sealed shut, you have to break it open.  I have already created the stls for a new casing, as well as created the schematic for a new board, but finding what some of the parts even are is an issue.  I'm pretty sure the used whatever could be found during quarintine.

o_Divine_o
Explorer
Options
Smart Home Support
Just curious, would 26650 fit without the case? Those have a lot more watt hours than 21700.
0 Likes
userrxh7Udqqyb
Cosmic Ray
Options
Smart Home Support

It would be impossible,  it's a very tight fit with just 21700.  Also you can't just shove in batteries as it requires i2c communication with the battery management mcu/afe.  You can just power it with 21v and it turns on but you get non stop batter errors on the device.  That being said, it's using low quality 21700 cells you can easily find cells with 2-3x the capacity that are still 21700.  The board is designed for a special fire safety standard and I'm guessing that's why they use these cells specially.   There is a thermostat as a secondary safety measure that's attached to the cells.  Anything greater than the capacity used will probably cause it to overheat.

It's using inr21700-40t. You could upgrade to 50e which are 5k mah instead if 4k.   Ut be careful,  it uses a weird configuration.   2 in parallel and the rest in series.   So even know it has 6 batteries its treated as 5.  I'm guessing since mcu only supports up to 5 series and 2 par it's the reason why they did this.  They.mcu is out dated and has been replaced for over 5 years with 6 cell plus version. But we got stuck with coved versions of a product.   Samsung basically suckered us all and has no way support it anymore.  

0 Likes
o_Divine_o
Explorer
Options
Smart Home Support
Seeing that with a lot of the vacuums; no bags, filters, batteries.
I have the jet bot+ (snagged for $250). I suspect a lot of modifying/making down the road. Can't wait, more excuses to engineer and improve on the design.
0 Likes
engmoto
Asteroid
Options
Smart Home Support

I’m not good with that kind of stuff. I’m great with troubleshooting. I did find a battery for the jetbot, it’s a smaller capacity but appears to have the same casing, and the charging base is the same for both models.

It should arrive next week, I’ll try it out and report results. Runtime should be reduced but as long as it returns and recharges I’m fine with that. I’ll put the smaller battery on the floor our house with the smallest area.

userrxh7Udqqyb
Cosmic Ray
Options
Smart Home Support

Can you provide a link?   One of the biggest issues is not having a working version to compare to.

0 Likes