JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Multi-Purpose Sensor Vibration Detection

(Topic created: 06-11-2019 10:05 AM)
MikeO
Constellation
Options
Smart Home Support

Samsung support told me that the multi-purpose sensor can be used as a glass break sensor, inasmuch as it can even detect vibration on a window, which would be the beginning of an attempt to break the glass. They said that even if it did not detect the vibration (pounding) at first, it will definitely set off a triggered condition if the glass is broken. My concern was that the portion of the glass where one part of the two-part sensor is attached may not actually separate from the frame. They are telling me that the separation is not required because of the ability of the multi-purpose sensor to detect vibration. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the multi-purpose sensor being used this way.

2 Replies
TheDaniel
Comet
Options
Smart Home Support

The only part of the two part is the big one. The little piece is just a magnet for the open/close.

Your problem is that the big piece cant be removed from the frame to put on the window to sense the vibration? That might be ok depending on whether or not the vibration travels to it(think newton's cradle)

Let's say it's not picking it up when you bang on the glass. You can either remove the sensor, and rescrew/resticky it where you need it OR if it wont serve it's current purpose if it gets moved, the only option I can think of is to pick up another multipurpose to use as a dedicated vibration sensor.

---My Signature---
If you're anticipating a follow up to one of my posts, please like my post or tag me. I don't generally go back to posts I have replied to unless I get pointed there.
0 Likes
Solution
MikeO
Constellation
Options
Smart Home Support

I spoke with a Samsung tech and learned that the big piece does not have to be on the frame of a window or door. As a matter of fact, the big piece has a picture of a door on it, indicating that it goes on the door (or window). You can mount the multi purpose sensor either way, but for use as a vibration sensor, the big piece needs to go on the door or window to be able to pick up the vibration of a knock or a breaking hit.

View solution in context

0 Likes