JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Powerbot Noise/rattle

(Topic created: 09-07-2017 12:24 PM)
userApYXHFjzzv
Constellation
Options
Smart Home Support

I have been through two powerbot's (both refurbished).  My second one has been going strong for about 3 months, but it has now started getting really loud.  It is kind of like a rattling noise.  Not as pronounced when the vaccum is on carpet, as it is on hardwoods.  I am guessing that it is coming from one of the small pivoting wheels under the center of it, but I can't say for sure.  

I have cleaned it thoroughly, and it doesn't seem to be coming from any blockage around the brush.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Does anyone have instructions on how to daignose where it is coming from, or service it yourself?

JUMP TO SOLUTION
65 Replies
userfgqcF9VHzn
Constellation
Options
Smart Home Support

I, too have found the motor bearings to be worn. And this is after foolishly replacing many belts. I, too would like to know the part number for the motor alone. As this is clearly a weak link in this vacuum cleaner I expect Samsung to make good on geting rid of this weak link and providing something that has been re-engineered to actually last more than a year. 

0 Likes
userSgGqO2bqGA
Constellation
Options
Smart Home Support

This is the model number of the motor. rp390-st 20165 dv smh 217920.

It is very hard to read on the casing of the motor. I did find some motors but you have to desolder and resolder the pbc board on the back of the motor. This is the link of the Motor I have found. I have not order it yet.

0 Likes
userqcDt290Cm4
Astronaut
Options
Smart Home Support

i am having the same probelm with mine i have the 7040

0 Likes
JayFingerz
Constellation
Options
Smart Home Support

Hopefully this helps anyone still experiencing this issue or future users who have this issue. 

I fixed this on my mother-in-law's Samsung R7040 and my own. Samsung has placed a very cheap plastic piece in all of these vacuums and seems to be taking advatange of people rather than owning up to it and fixing the issue. 

Remove your roller and look at the ends of the roller. On one end there should be a square plastic piece held in by a screw and the other end should be round. The round part is where the problem lies. Some people still have the black round plastic piece but over time it gets worn down, on both of my vacuums the round plastic piece is completely gone. I've replaced it with a "Coaxial F Boot (F81) Weather Seal Boot" from amazon. I've heard they sell them at Walmart too but there weren't any near me. You will have to just cut it down to fit the size of the slot on your vacuum. $7 fix. 

Before trying this I've completely taken apart the robot vacuum and also replaced the motor (which died) but the rattling was still very loud. Added that little plastic piece and quiet. 

user9EZvpvZcSV
Asteroid
Options
Smart Home Support

I had that with a 7040. One wire (of 2) on a moving arm had come out of place (should have been taped together out of the way of the arm in the factory). I ignored it long enough that eventually the arm moving back and forth pulled the wire right off. The only option then is to solder the wire back on. Caught early enough just taping the pair of power wires back into place would have been enough. (If it's still under warrantee, probably worth dropping at the service centre anyway)

0 Likes
user9EZvpvZcSV
Asteroid
Options
Smart Home Support

One 7040 used to squeak, and some light machine oil in the wheel wells fixed that. Won't help with the rattle, just though I'd mention it, seeing the other reply about lubricating the internal mechanisms.

0 Likes