cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Powerbot R7040 Edge Clean Inconsistent

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I obtained an R7040 to test navigation on the 7000 series and found the edge handling peculiar and inconsistent.  Only sometimes does the robot travel straight up against a wall, though when doing so it does engage the Edge Clean Master and even sometimes the dirt detector maximum suction.  Other times it approaches a wall and turns away two inches away from the wall.  Still other times it bumps the wall at an angle and travels along the wall, maybe even rolling the bumper along it with that roller on the corner.  In contrast a larger 9250 model used several years moves straight into all portions of walls, which was expected of the 7040.  The robot appears to be fully working, returning to base from distant rooms so mapping well, and automatically boosting suction on carpets.  So it seems the navigation firmware is not very effective in using the Edge Clean Master.  The panel display shows when this is engaged.  It just does not get positioned to be used all along the walls.  They all have white baseboard moldings.  The proximity sensors seem quite sensitive, maybe more so than the older 9250.  The vacuum does cover the entire floor just not very well on the edges.

Is this normal for a 7000 series vacuum or could something be wrong with this unit?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cosmic Ray

Re: Powerbot R7040 Edge Clean Inconsistent

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung rep suggests the poor behavior is specific to this unit tested, which was obtained refurbished, used, just for review purposes.  It has been returned instead of having it serviced, as just obtained for review -- I would buy a higher level model than 7040 when ready to replace an old 9250 in use.  I do not see any other reports of similar navigation problems.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We are sorry that you are experiencing this. Can you send me a private message with your model and serial number so we can look into this for you? http://bit.ly/33ipYnO

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung rep suggests the poor behavior is specific to this unit tested, which was obtained refurbished, used, just for review purposes.  It has been returned instead of having it serviced, as just obtained for review -- I would buy a higher level model than 7040 when ready to replace an old 9250 in use.  I do not see any other reports of similar navigation problems.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just bought the R7040 this week (brand new) and am noticing the same behavior. I've also been unable to get to it to connect to wifi/SmartThings. Thinking about returning it and try a different brand.

Oh and I did try to call support and gave up after being on hold forever.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have used vacuum robots for many years, including Roomba and Neato, and have been most satisfied with the Samsung 9000 series.  I looked at the 7000 just for review purposes (I blog on these products at robotreviews.com).  Customer service is a topic of complaints on many technical products, so not clear any other brand would be different.  But I wanted the higher power of the Samsung to clean new wall-to-wall carpet worth an upgrade and am satisfied with it -- though with some DIY enhancements.  I actually rate these things by how easy it is to correct their design errors which they all seem to have.  It depends on your particular flooring and furniture.

I like the omission of side brushes found on other brands as these do not work on carpet, wear out, and even break against edges of furniture.

I am not interested in the WiFi connection except for software updates -- which often are just for the maintenance of the complex WiFi connection itself rather than cleaning performance.  Every brand seems to show difficulties with the WiFi connection, affected by all sorts of security features in networks and what not -- sometimes a networking expert is needed; the manuals for routers are pretty fancy these days.  I notice that with the 7000 series, a different SmartHome program --SmartThings -- is used than with the older 9000's at least, don't know about the new "R" versions -- and different models are sold depending on country. (I got a message from SmartHome trying to register the R7040 saying it needed SmartThings instead -- software and networking is always changing so not atypical -- progress...)

The only advantage of the 7000 series over 9000 I see is its lower profile, apparently wanted to compete with the other brands, but it would still not fit under my furniture so no attraction.

I also find lots of electronic part wear and defects on other brands (giving us much opportunity for engineering discussions on how to repair at robotreviews). Samsung is better equipped, as a major electronics supplier, to make high quality circuits.   Brands which use mechanical spinning lidars instead of newer computer vision, camera guidance also have parts that wear, cheap motors, etc. giving much opportunity to instruct how to replace and repair.  Other brands have only recently moved to camera guidance such as found now on Dyson and Roomba as well as Samsung.  It's like TV's going from old vacuum tubes to solid state transistors.

Certain problems with the 9000 appeared corrected on the 7000, such as improper interpretation of the wheel extension sensor which could tend to cause an error, as the bot could do a "wheelie" lifting the side under drive torque when rubbing obstacles (disabling that sensor was one enhancement needed; the newer 9350 model appears to have added counter weights in the front to improve this situation, not sure if on all the newer "R" models).  Notice the 7000 also added a top edge bumper.

The 9000 have an additional sensor not shown on the 7000's -- an indicator for when the washable filter has been clogged, useful with the large dust bin which may take longer to fill than the filter takes to need washing.

The washable filters on Samsung are much appreciated as other brands may require periodic purchases of replacement filters; they don't last very long in my experience (I have made a lot of measurements of these things, with instruments).

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I bought a brand new unit from samsung.com last month and am noticing the same behavior. It almost always avoids all walls and every once in a while does the edge cleaning mode. 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Usually, the vacuum moves diagonally because it is using the shortest path. It will continue to clean as it goes, even when covering already-cleaned areas. This can happen near the end of a cycle when it is trying to reach spots it missed.

It may also move diagonally if:

1. The vacuum made contact with obstacles that are at an angle
  2. The docking station is at an angle
  3. The grain of the floor or ceiling is skewed in that direction
  4. The floor is slightly slippery as the vacuum turns, which affects its rotation. The navigation system will compensate for this and ensure that it cleans all reachable areas.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just bought one from the store and I have the same problem. The bot seems lost, clean the same place multiple times, and doesn't clean some places, especially the edges. For me, neither the Dirt Detector nor the Edge Clean Master work. I tried to use the PointCleaning to clean the edges and the result is a joke. The bot acts crazy and never cleans the edge. Here is a video of it: <HIDDEN>

PS: I have more fun videos of this bot getting crazy when trying to clean edges.