JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

SmartThings WiFi 3-Pack

(Topic created: 02-17-2019 11:37 PM)
Scott16475
Comet
Options
Smart Home Support

Amateur question, but I'm considering purchasing the SmartThings WiFi 3-pack and I'm not sure if that REPLACES my current router that I have through my internet provider or whether I still need the internet provided router?

If it does replace my current internet provider router, does only one need to have a data cable connected to it or do all three need to be connected via a data cable? My current router has a data cable running from the outlet to the router so I'm wondering if one or all three of the SmartThings WiFi packs need to have data cables connected to them.

Thank you in advance.

3 Replies
Solution
TheDaniel
Comet
Options
Smart Home Support

A SmartThings WiFi does replace your router. Only the main hub needs to be wired to the modem. The extras can connect through WiFi or backhauled.

---My Signature---
If you're anticipating a follow up to one of my posts, please like my post or tag me. I don't generally go back to posts I have replied to unless I get pointed there.

View solution in context

Scott16475
Comet
Options
Smart Home Support

Awesome, thank you, for answering.

0 Likes
userSgGBfh7zAl
Constellation
Options
Smart Home Support

hello #TheDaniel.

How do you backhaul to the extras through the ethernet?  I've got 5E which should be sufficient for my needs, but the instructions only show how to connect these pucks to each other throught wifi.

0 Likes