JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Washer and Dryer w/ SMART Home connect only for a minute, then disconnect

(Topic created: 02-02-2017 01:17 PM)
userpJZxvGI02z
Constellation
Options
Smart Home Support

I've done this many times now.  I'm connecting to my home network, same network that several dozens of devices are working on.  Both the washer and the dryer will connect and show ready immediately after configuration.  I can control them for about a minute, then they go 'disconnected' and stay disconnected.

I'm watching my network and no other devices are complaining.  Any ideas?  Can I get any status info or troubleshooting info from the washer or dryer to try to see what's happening?

JUMP TO SOLUTION
34 Replies
userE7ZDtSAkQq
Constellation
Options
Smart Home Support

You need to select "stay connect" in the mobile app. Then you're always connected without selecting it on your washer with each load. 

0 Likes
userznDBvAdF8U
Asteroid
Options
Smart Home Support

This only solves part of the problem. Sure for the washer and dryer (and maybe other samsung appliances) you could select smart control on the appliance and then in the SmartThings app go to the smart control section and hit the 'stay connect' button, but the main problem is that for both the washer and the dryer if they turn off after their loads are finished then there's no way to turn them back on from the app to control them again if they've shut off. I can see two real main scenarios for these particular appliances having 'smart' functionality, 

1. The washer having finished a load, but we forgot to move it over to the dryer. In this instance, I would like to be able to re-start the load maybe for just a rinse cycle to get them ready to be dried by the dryer. We can't do that right now with the smart control unless we enable it every time, and since enabling it on the washer LOCKS THE LID, there are times where we find additional dirty clothes that we need to add to the load mid wash, but we have to DISABLE smart control, add the article of clothing, then enable smart control again. Also, since we forgot to move the load to the dryer in the first place, it's likely been a while since we've seen it and the device has likely shut off anyways, so if we HAD smart control enabled then we STILL COULDN'T control it since there's no way in the app to 'wake up' an appliance through 'smart' controling it. This is horrendously designed and not at all what 'smart' controling a washer should be.

2. Related to the washer, another scenario would be re-starting or fluffing a load in the dryer if it was left in there to get rid of wrinkles so we could put the clothes away. The dryer does a little better in this regard since it won't lock the lid when smart control is enabled, but it still faces the same problem that the washer does where if the dryer shuts off in between the time where it finishes, and the time where we forget to put it away, it's likely already shut itself off and can't be controlled with the app anymore. Again, it's basically useless at that point.

All in all, right now we only use the smart capabilities of the washer and dryer to get notifications for when washer or dryer loads finish. This i guess is better than nothing, but the most likely intended scenarios for using an app to control these appliances are not able to be done due to the design of how smart control was implemented, and i'd even go as far to say that it's false advertising for samsung to say that these appliances are able to be controlled through an app, when half of the time they are not since we can't control them to wake them up if they've shut themselves off when they were finished.

userw6SDwFfxpi
Constellation
Options
Smart Home Support

where is the "stay connect" option?  is that the wifi and bluetooth auto on option?  

0 Likes
Samsung_enQhmlB
Astronaut
Options
Smart Home Support
0 Likes
userYArdw1jcxQ
Asteroid
Options
Smart Home Support

Not just washer and dryer, i bought the latest linear wash Dishwasher from Samsung, and it has the same problem. It was just so dumb and recidulous. Who designed such a feature, for what, saving the power? I also have samsung gas range, which stay connected to wifi so that I can control/view it from app any time. Why is washer/dryer/dishwasher so different?