Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Colean1
Constellation

Powerbot floor plan

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a fairly large open concept house. When creating a floor plane for my Powerbot turbo how large will it map?

If it does not complete the whole house will it recharge and continue the mapping process?

Can I create multiple maps? Say have it map the living room, then create another map for the bedroom? And if so, how would one go about doing this? The manual says that it has to be in the charging dock to map a floor plan.

Manual is very vague with its descriptions and the How To's on the site don't specifically say much about the mapping.

Any help would be apprciated. Thank you.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Thortok
Galaxy

Re: Powerbot floor plan

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I can answer some of these questions.

1 - It will attempt to map the entire area that it can reach.

2 - The vacuum will automatically resume after recharging when cleaning. When mapping however, the vacuum will cancel the entire mapping operation and give an out of charge error. This happened to me when I tried to map a room with the battery mostly used up before starting. My testing was done awhile back, and I know the design is that it's supposed to automatically continue just like it does when it cleans, so I would give it a shot anyway, it may have been fixed in a firmware update. I do know that if you get an error when mapping, that's it, you have to start the whole thing over. It was kind of frustrating.
3 - You can create multiple maps. I can't remember the maximum number or if there even is one, but you can definitely do more than 2 or 3 or so. This is great if your house has multiple floors, for instance.

4 - If you really wanted or needed to. Unless you're bumping into the issue of too big a space for it to map in one go, I wouldn't recommend it. The mapping is supposed to detect 'rooms' for use with the 'select & go' feature where you select which rooms to map.

5 - You would have to move the charging dock, and then create physical obstacles (like closed doors for instance, or use the included boundary markers, although I couldn't get the boundary markers to work) so the vacuum can't wander out of the area you're wanting to map. When going back to using other maps, you would want to put the charging dock and obstacles in the same place as when the map was made, or make a new map. Another option, if you'd rather spend money to be lazy, is to buy extra charging docks (or if you're really rich, extra vacuums lol.)

Good questions. Got any more? lol

37 REPLIES 37
Thortok
Galaxy

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I can answer some of these questions.

1 - It will attempt to map the entire area that it can reach.

2 - The vacuum will automatically resume after recharging when cleaning. When mapping however, the vacuum will cancel the entire mapping operation and give an out of charge error. This happened to me when I tried to map a room with the battery mostly used up before starting. My testing was done awhile back, and I know the design is that it's supposed to automatically continue just like it does when it cleans, so I would give it a shot anyway, it may have been fixed in a firmware update. I do know that if you get an error when mapping, that's it, you have to start the whole thing over. It was kind of frustrating.
3 - You can create multiple maps. I can't remember the maximum number or if there even is one, but you can definitely do more than 2 or 3 or so. This is great if your house has multiple floors, for instance.

4 - If you really wanted or needed to. Unless you're bumping into the issue of too big a space for it to map in one go, I wouldn't recommend it. The mapping is supposed to detect 'rooms' for use with the 'select & go' feature where you select which rooms to map.

5 - You would have to move the charging dock, and then create physical obstacles (like closed doors for instance, or use the included boundary markers, although I couldn't get the boundary markers to work) so the vacuum can't wander out of the area you're wanting to map. When going back to using other maps, you would want to put the charging dock and obstacles in the same place as when the map was made, or make a new map. Another option, if you'd rather spend money to be lazy, is to buy extra charging docks (or if you're really rich, extra vacuums lol.)

Good questions. Got any more? lol

usermFMKDJ9L6w
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I don't mind setting up barriers and moving the charging station, but does that not mean everytime I want to clean a particular room, I will have to move the charging station to that exact location in that room in order for it to execute that floor plan? 

or will it be smart enough to run that floor plan eventhough the charging location is another room?

Also I have been trying this several times how delete a floorplan?

Thortok
Galaxy

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes, you would want to put the docking station and the obstacles in the same place every time. (Or buy another docking station and just leave it there.)

The vacuum is capable of operating without a floorplan to some extent, it will wander around the edges of the area it can go until it detects the docking station and will still dock. But this takes a lot longer and if it's low on charge it may not find the docking station in time.

In a similar fashion, if furniture moves, like chairs or tables or stuff, the vacuum will generally be able to deal with it. When I say 'obstacles' I mean the stuff keeping it from leaving the area. Supposedly, once a floorplan is mapped, the vacuum will consider it an invisible wall and not go past even if there's no longer an obstacle, but I haven't tested that yet either.

That's when it's trying to find the station though. I'm thinking that you won't be able to initiate the 'use this floorplan' command unless the vacuum is currently on the charger. So I don't think there's a way to start a floorplan off of the charger. Once it's started though, you could pick up and move the docking station and the vacuum wouldn't care, until it tries to find it again.

As far as deleting a floorplan, that's one thing I forgot to do while testing, or maybe I couldn't figure out how either. I spent the entire day trying to make a floorplan in the first place, and it kept giving errors, and then running out of charge and had to wait for it to recharge, and then some other people needed to use the room I was trying to map and they moved it, which of course interrupted the mapping yet again, that I just gave up. =P Sorry.

If you still can't figure out how to delete a floorplan, I'll get it out again and see if I can find an answer for you, even if the answer is "you can't." Just let me know.

Oh, by the way, here's the troubleshooting article for this subject, just in case it contains information you don't have or haven't already figured out: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=665321&modelname=SR2...

usermFMKDJ9L6w
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am not sure if you work for Samsung, but thank you for the info.  This has been significantly more information than I have gotten from Samsung support.

I suspect the only way to delete a floorplan is to delete the entire app and re-install.

Also they sold me on "you can schedule a particular floor on a floorplan to be vacumed".  I do not see that option either in the schedule page.  Any thoughts on that?

Will

Thortok
Galaxy

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I can't speak for Samsung, please don't get that impression. =P That's what the mods are for. I'm not a mod.

But I'm happy to help as much as I can. Do have one of these I can get out and test with again, if needed.

I was actually pretty impressed by the scheduling function in the app when I tested. It was pretty precise as far as picking the exact days of the week and times and stuff.

However, I was unsuccessful in making a floorplan, and the floorplan already on it from someone else's testing was only a single room, so I was unable to confirm or deny the whole 'select rooms for the schedule' thing. It would make sense if you could, I just can't personally confirm it, without more testing.

What I can confirm is you can set which floorplan to use. And when a scheduled cleaning starts, the vacuum will just use whatever the current floorplan is. I don't think it's possible to say 'use this floorplan for X schedule, use the other floorplan for Y schedule.' But if X schedule happens, and then you pick up and move the vacuum and change the floorplan and then walk away and Y schedule happens, then Y schedule would be on the now-currently-selected floorplan.

I think the idea was whenever you pick up and move the vacuum to a different floor (hence why they're called 'floor' plans and not 'roomplans', I think), you'd set the floorplan in the app to match, and the vacuum would continuously use the same floorplan until the floorplan is changed again. And when needed, you could always just make another floorplan. The idea of changing floorplans automatically but without relocating the vacuum and its charging station probably doesn't make sense or fit in line with the original design goals, I'm thinking.

Until more testing is done, its pretty much guesswork, unfortunately. =(

Does that help answer your question, at least?

Oh, and also, I believe the floorplan is saved to the vacuum, not to the app. That's how I was able to get the floorplan from a previous tester, even when I hadn't mapped it myself. Unless a firmware update has changed that since I did testing, that will probably still be true.

That said, if it turns out you can't manually delete floorplans, then when you hit the limit of however many floorplans you can have, it'll just automatically delete the oldest. That's probably how it works, actually. I'm just not sure what that limit is.

Colean1
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

OK. Thanks for the answers. I get about 35 minutes when running the bot on high vaccume. It gets about 1/2 to 2/3 of the living room done before returning to the charger. I would suppose that for mapping purposes, I should use the quiet mode since it's battery time is about three times longer. I have yet to map anything yet because I wanted to see what I could do with it first. The idea of having a second or even third charging dock is not a bad idea. I have ranch so there are no steps. Everything is on one floor level.

So I could feasable "block" off the bedrooms by closing the doors during the mapping, this way it should be able to map the livingroom and the small hallway in one shot I hope.

Then I could move the docking station to the hallway, open the bedroom doors and block off the livingroom and do another floor plan for the bedrooms on that side of the house. I guess I will just have to play around with it to see what would be the best fit.

Again, thanks for the help.

Thortok
Galaxy

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I think when mapping it will automatically go into quiet mode. Would be kind of silly if it didn't lol. But it was already in quiet mode when I mapped so again, can't confirm.

Yeah, give it a shot and play around. Also, while mapping a floorplan is useful, it's not vital. As you've already seen of course, the vacuum will still operate without one. The floorplan just helps it be a little more efficient, and is required for the 'select & go' feature where you pick only certain rooms to clean.

Let me know if you have any more questions. The little robot vac is one of my favorite Samsung products. Frustrating sometimes, but fun to watch it zoom around, doing your work for you so you don't have to, lol.
usermFMKDJ9L6w
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

All,

So if you are using "Select and Go" and you create multiple floor plans be-aware you will NOT be able to delete them.  I had to do this because of my house open floor plan the powerbot would fail trying to build the floorplan.

When I submitted the ticket to support, they sent me a link to the manual.  Of course there is no way to do this in the manual.  I asked if they could escalate this to someone more technical they said no.

The mobile app loses its connection to the powerbot frequently and freezes the app.  Only solution is to restart it.

Folks "Select and Go" is just not ready for prime time.  I am actually ok with that, but what is alarming is just the absolute ineffective support.

I went and got the neato botvac connect.  While the suction is not nearly as good as the powerbot in my opinion, the mobile app does not feel like it was outsourced to a cheap development shop.  It is what you would expect and you have support that does more than just send you a link to the manual.

Hard to believe that with such an amazing vacum cleaner, they fumble the ball on the mobile app and support.  I would have been satisfied with we are fixing it and will have a release out next year.  You can't even get that.

Hopefully someone will listen.

Will

user8kZJzAQnfM
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

thanks!  I am returning the whole thing.  ridiculous mess for the amount of money