Disabling Bixby Note 9

Asteroid

Disabling Bixby Note 9

Overall I have most enjoyed the Note 9 after three days, but if some workaround can't be found to get rid of Bixby I'll probably be returning the phone during the return period, and a co-worker is in the same boat. I have no interest in Bixby and didn't pay $1,000 for a phone to have a useless and intrusive app forcing itself on me. I could turn it off with my S8 plus but apparently Samsung has made the very bad decision to force it on people with the note 9 and I'm not going to put up with that for this amount of money. Does anyone know if an update is expected to address this issue? 

Also just a note to Samsung here, Bixby is too far behind Google Assistant to ever have any hope of succeeding, so please just get rid of it and move on with your next device. This is ridiculous.

See more topics labeled with:

12 REPLIES
Halo

Re: Disabling Bixby Note 9

You can go into the settings and turn off bixby home and disable bixy in the settings also, but if you click the bixby button its going to open bixby home.

Asteroid

Thanks. Can you please tell me how you disable Bixby (other than home)? Everything I've read says that this is not allowed on the Note 9 (unlike previous Galaxy devices). I know that you can stop Bixby home from opening, and the Bxaction app will disable the button for now (thank God), but from what I've heard Bixby will soon get an update to make sure that nobody can disable or remap the button. Also, unlike previous versions, the new Bixby no longer has a button to disable updating (for this very reason I'm sure). I understand Samsung wanting to push Bixby, but it should be painfully obvious that it has flopped and will never become popular for seemingly obvious reasons, so why not allow some way to get rid of it after encouraging use initially? Bixby is an answer to a problem that doesn't exist. For those who want an AI, Google is already light years ahead, and has an established following among Android users. Bixby will never, EVER, compete. There is ZERO chance of that happening, and Samsung needs to get their head out of their butt and be real. If they want to leave it there for those who like it great, but don't force it on users who have become used to being able to disable it on their previous Galaxy devices, all I'm saying here.

Samsung Moderator

userASqmetvLOI; We always value customers who are keen to give us their feedback. I will be sure to pass on what you have told me to our managerial team. Thanks. 

Asteroid

Thank you.

Samsung Moderator

@userASqmetvLOI; You are very welcome!

Constellation

To whom it may concern

I have been a huge huge fan of samsung and the NOTE ..  BUT this piece of BIXBY really needs to fixed for its

customers. And I dont mean keep trying to improve it.. BUT allow us to disable or remove it.. and alos to be able to remap the bixby pain in the but button.

Truthfully I probably wouldnt have bought the NOTE 9. I keep hitting that damm button.. I dont BIXBY ...

HOW DO WE ONCE AND FOR ALLWAYS GET RID OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Highlighted
Constellation

Could not agree more. I am furious you cannot disable the bixby button like you could on the note 8. Bixby S U C K S. stop forcing it down my throat. The button is right next to the volume and i hit it accidentally at least 20 times a day. I am ready to return this phone. Jerks!

Astronaut

Started with a Note 3. Just got the Note 9.  Had to wait for it after explosions of Note 7 forced me to return it and go to a different phone for 2 years, in order to get on an airplane. Was glad that error did not bring Samsung down and waited anxiously until I could get back to a Note.  But, alas, Samsung seems to want to fail.  And Bixby appears to be their next effort at doing so. It is literally making me crazy, and the work around explanations range from, it will cost you $3.50 for an app to, here is a way to redirect the button.  I did not want to go Apple, but I am about 48 hours from returning the phone and leaving Samsung for good. 

Astronaut

I too am in the same boat. I love, for the most part, the device hardware....

BUT, the caveat here is -  I HATE THE User Experience of BIXBY and the Bixby Button so much it will make me NEVER TRY OR BUY A samsung product again if not fixed.

I decided to switch from apple, for the firts time, and one app with one button is the ONLY thing that is making me want to return my device and wash my hands of samsung. FOR GOOD. 

Please alow note9 users to disable ALL bixby features and remap or disable that silly button, or turn me away for good. 

This has annoyed me off so much that I wont buy anything samsung, no TV's no Microwaves... Nothing - because you are using social engineering to fource BAD apps onto users that spend a LOT of money on your devices. NOT COOL