Original topic:

Bring Back Iris Scanner

(Topic created: 10-29-2023 06:49 PM)
masterewald
Asteroid
Options
Suggestions

Bringing back the Iris Scanner with provide these benefits:

• Enhanced Security: Iris scanning is a highly secure biometric authentication method. It provides an extra layer of security beyond traditional methods like PINs or fingerprints.

• Contactless Authentication: In a world where hygiene and cleanliness are emphasized, the iris scanner allows for contactless authentication, reducing the spread of germs on the device.

• Versatility: Iris scanning works well in various lighting conditions and is difficult to spoof, making it a reliable choice for unlocking devices.

• Accessibility: It can be a valuable accessibility feature, assisting users with disabilities who may have difficulty with other forms of authentication.

• Technological Differentiation: Reintroducing the iris scanner could help Samsung differentiate its devices in a competitive market, providing a unique selling point.

• Complementary to Existing Biometrics: Iris scanning can work alongside other biometric methods like facial recognition and fingerprint scanning, giving users more options for secure access.

• Privacy-Focused: Iris data is typically stored on the device, ensuring user privacy and reducing concerns about data breaches.

• Future-Proofing: As technology evolves, iris scanning could be integrated with emerging applications and services, making it a forward-looking feature.

• User Demand: Some users may prefer iris scanning due to its reliability and security, so bringing it back could cater to their preferences.

• Government and Enterprise Use: Iris scanning is often used in government and enterprise applications for its high level of security, which could make Samsung devices more appealing to these sectors.

4 Replies
USBetaModerator2
Beta Moderator
Options
Suggestions

Hello,
Thank you very much for your suggestion.
Your suggestion has been communicated to the developer and the development project manager is reviewing the content. After reviewing your suggestions, we will apply them to the official version if your proposal matches our concept.
We appreciate your contribution to the beta program.

Regards,
One UI Beta Team

0 Likes
Zrnie
Nebula
Options
Suggestions
Not trying to be rude but, I highly doubt that a lot of people used the iris scanner feature.

I can do only assume Samsung see's how often people use a feature and decided not to continue it on that basis alone

Especially when certain high profile banking apps would not use it for logins (without any other verification)

Trying to add a valid iris scanner that cannot be tricked using a photo would be expensive too, which probably adds another reason why they haven't done anything with it
0 Likes
masterewald
Asteroid
Options
Suggestions

bro, if Apple can put a face ID that has a dot projector, flood illuminator, and infrared camera into their iPhones which is more expensive, I think Samsung can do the same but with an iris scanner. Plus the only reason why banking apps wouldn't use it before is they took it out before online banking became more popular and started integrating fingerprint and face unlock. 

MarkChang
Halo
Options
Suggestions
As someone who does not use Face Unlock and works with people who are visually impaired and or blind. I can't see it being useful, especially in the accessibility area that needs to be improved upon the most. Accessibility for the blind! Also, as a person who has had a cornea transplant, even the TSA's iris scanners don't work for eye conditions like that and certain eye infections and conditions also make iris scanners not usable by a lot of people.

As a consumer, I just wouldn't use it if my phone came with it but I also wouldn't be willing to pay more for a phone just because it has one. That's my personal opinion though.
0 Likes