Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Dimmed AOD

(Topic created: 10-07-2022 07:14 PM)
JPlaid
Star
Options
Suggestions
Can we get a dimmed lock screen AOD option, similar to how the iPhone 14 does its AOD? Normally I would think this would be a bad idea due to screen burn, but clearly Apple somehow figured out how to avoid it. 
So if we could get that same option, either natively or in Good Lock, I think that'd be super cool!

Thx!
0 Likes
15 Replies
TipsyTrex
Supernova
Options
Suggestions
I mean, as an option it's fine but the iPhone AOD seems really bad and if it were to become a mainstream replacement for current AODs, ugh no thanks. We don't know about burn in, we know it drains battery faster than it should and the general consensus is that it's distracting because the phone appears on.
JPlaid
Star
Options
Suggestions
Apple has a patent to prevent screen burn with the AOD on the Watch, and I'm sure they put that tech into the phone as well.

And regarding battery life, tests have shown that the AOD on the iPhone takes roughly 1-2% per hour of battery life, which is basically identical or better than Samsung's. Because we have the phantom drain issue that Samsungs have had for a while, the iPhone will almost certainly win on battery life, even with the full color AOD.
0 Likes
Yamialex224
Honored Contributor
Options
Suggestions
The sxreens are different for one. Also not true about the battery. People on Twitter are saying if they have AOD on the battery takes a hit unlike Samsung which is 10% during the day
0 Likes
JPlaid
Star
Options
Suggestions
The tests I've seen have showed roughly 14% lost overnight. So assuming 8 hrs overnight (to be conservative):

14 ÷ 8 = 1.75%/hr.

At best, I'd say the Samsung has the same drain from its AOD, which it shouldn't have being that it is mostly black, but for some reason, the AOD on the Samsung only goes down to 24hz, even though Gen 2 LTPO can go down to 1hz. I think is likely a major factor in battery drain.
0 Likes
Ryan891
Supernova
Options
Suggestions
The slight increase in drain isn't just from display power. AOD can require a kernel wakelock in order to display information, update it, and move it. In other words your device will spend slightly less time in "Deep Sleep" with AOD on. This of course can be optimized, but it will always be true to some extent. I can't speak for Apple's implementation because I'm lees familiar with how IOS works, and my iphone is too old to have it.
JPlaid
Star
Options
Suggestions
Exactly! This makes perfect sense. This is why the A16 has an entire co-processor to just handle the AOD power draws, so the main CPU isn't used.

I think the combo of having that co-processor and going down to 1hz would really make a difference to the AOD on S22U.
0 Likes
Ryan891
Supernova
Options
Suggestions
Correct, but a co- processor can't be added.
user_ams007
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Suggestions
The iPhone uses a Samsung display on its newest iPhone and battery life also depends on what apps you have running in the background the other reason that an iPhone may have better battery life is that it doesn't have any multi Tasking Abilities but as for your phantom battery drain I have noticed that putting unnecessary applications into a deep sleep can greatly increase battery life, if you install the Samsung Good Guardians application and install the Battery Tracking feature it will show you exactly what is draining your battery and will allow you to remedy the problem,
https://appleinsider.com/articles/22/09/14/apple-will-switch-more-iphone-14-pro-screen-orders-to-sam...
0 Likes
JPlaid
Star
Options
Suggestions
Thx for the suggestions! I already have all the Good Guardian modules installed, and have optimized them heavily, including using the Galaxy App Booster.

And I don't really have this issue myself, but it is something I've seen many people talk about. AccuBattery says I have roughly 4%/hr drain with the screen off, which seems rather normal to me, although I know, having some Apple products myself, that it is in fact higher than the iPhone.

I love my S22U, but I've gotta be realistic too. There's things that the S22U can do that iPhone can't, and vise versa.
0 Likes