Did you mean:Ā 

Original topic:

Edge Panel bug or feature?

(Topic created: 09-24-2021 05:20 PM)
Jay3578
Comet
Options
Suggestions
I think this gear/settings icon seems redundant in this place when there's a menu with options to "edit" and to see "more apps". 

PS. I just noticed the subtle animation when you go into "edit mode". Very nicely done! 
9 Replies
Jay3578
Comet
Options
Suggestions
Sorry, forgot to attach. šŸ˜Screenshot_20210924-171702_One UI Home_10187.jpg
0 Likes
User5741
Comet
Options
Suggestions
Feature but yea it is repetitive
FrostTaco
Star
Options
Suggestions
The edit and more apps buttons take you to a completely different menu, not to mention that apps page can be removed from the edge panel. They're 2 different buttons which do different things.
0 Likes
Jay3578
Comet
Options
Suggestions
What I meant to say is that there is a LOT of wasted space under the menu option, and it will make a lot more sense to move the settings option there rather than leaving it where it currently is.
0 Likes
USBetaModerator
Beta Moderator
Options
Suggestions

Hello @Jay3578 ,

Thank you for your feedback. We will pass on your feedback to our usability team for review.

Regards,
One UI Beta Team

0 Likes
GalaxySizedRod
Cosmic Ray
Options
Suggestions
Na. Because that settings gear takes you too the edge panel settings no matter what edge panel you're on and once you swipe to a different panel it disappears. Screenshot_20210928-080204_Samsung Members_15645.jpgScreenshot_20210928-080140_Samsung Members_15644.jpg
0 Likes
Jay3578
Comet
Options
Suggestions
Oh, I see what you mean. Either way, it looks ugly the way it's showing on my screenshot, imo. It may be convenient under a some cases but it's bad design.
0 Likes
GalaxySizedRod
Cosmic Ray
Options
Suggestions
It's your color scheme, not the actual layout. Turn on Dark Mode, then look at it. The whole panel just clashes with the visual cohesiveness of the UI. The placement of the settings gear is in the best place it can be. It's not for the individual panel, it's settings for the whole feature. So putting it in the white space presents the problem that now any other buttons to modify the panels are now repetive and redundant because they could all be in the settings menu. But that would make simple edits like adding an app or rearranging contacts more steps than necessary. Or you end up with a design that's inconsistent with the entire UI cause you could have the settings gear open up an overflow menu that ask you to choose either edit this panel or edge panel settings.
The way it is now is the best design from a usability standpoint. Furthermore it fades away after like 5/6sec even if you don't swipe the panel.
0 Likes
Jay3578
Comet
Options
Suggestions
I disagree. I think it looks bad on both light and dark theme. I think a better solution would be to nest it under an universal menu so that you can access it when needed. What happens when you want to access "settings" after the gear icon disappeared? It seems to me like an ugly solution to a very specific problem.
0 Likes